cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asperrott
What's DOS?
Views: 1,138
Message 1 of 3

T510 Mouse and Keyboard stops working with Windows Update - unable to roll back, happened twice

My mouse has been working fine for a while but it stopped working followed by the keyboard, I put it down to a Windows update but because Windows 7 keeps bluescreening on a restore point I couldn't recover.  I contacted Lenovo got the rebuild disc for my machine, completely rebuilt it, all working fine, then after 2 days same issue, mouse stopped, keyboard stopped, restore points make no difference.  Does anyone know what windows update is causing this and if there is a fix aside from rebuilding, I can't keep doing this and I need to understand the cause really, not had it with a laptop before.  Gone back to using my old laptop until I can get it sorted.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Guru
Views: 1,091
Message 2 of 3

Re: T510 Mouse and Keyboard stops working with Windows Update - unable to roll back, happened twice

This shouldn't happen as far as I know... Make sure all of your drivers are up-to-date before running Windows Update? Maybe some hotfix conflicts with one of the earlier drivers found on the restore discs... Not sure. Maybe avoid installing Windows Updates after restoring?

Also, make sure you don't have a virus on one of your external drives. Maybe a virus is infecting your computer repeatedly.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
asperrott
What's DOS?
Views: 1,071
Message 3 of 3

Re: T510 Mouse and Keyboard stops working with Windows Update - unable to roll back, happened twice

I installed the latest drivers via windows update and got the touchpad back, rebooted, it went again.  Netiher the trackpoint or touchpad work.  I then thought rather than focus on drivers check the bios.  I disabled the trackpoint in the bios, still neither works, however if I disable the touchpad in the bios and enable the trackpoint, the trackpoint does consistently work.  I can't explain why the touchpad worked after a touchpad update but now fails, the ultranav driver is installed but if both are enabled in the bios it say it isn't installed, if the trackpoint is enabled it tells me I need to enable both so it clearly knows it's there.  What's curious is that this doesn't happen on the complete clean IBM build.  I can't not turn off windows updates, I'm a developer so Ioad the laptops up with a vast variety of software and I need many of the windows update fixes, either way I am surprised they are conflicting with the touchpad so dramatically.  I can't see it being a virus I'm using two layers of protection and if I blow the machine away and installed the updates via an .iso image (so it's never connected to anything else), I can replicate the problem.  It's feasible it's another piece of software causing the conflict.  Any one have any idea what could be going on or seen it before?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors