Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 5 (2,275 Views)

T510: Sparkling pixels on external DVI LCD monitor

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with my new T510 showing 'sparkling' pixels in black areas on an LCD monitor. I am driving the monitor with a BYTECC DisplayPort to DVI cable adapter. A few sparkling pixels show up after the monitor has been on for a while.

I should point out that I have two setups: one at work and one at home. Two cables. Two Samsung monitors and two adapters. The setup at work with a newer 1920 x 1200 Samsung monitor does not show this problem. The setup at home with the 1600 x 1200  214T monitor does show the problem.

I have swapped the adapters, and the problem remains at home on the 214T. My Dell Inspiron 9400 has never show a problem like this in four years of use on that 214T and does not show the problem now, using the same cable (but not using the DisplayPort to DVI adapter). So I do not suspect the cable or the monitor.

Today, I updated the drivers for the T510. No change. I don't suspect the T510 video card because it seems to work fine with the monitor at work. So I'm running out of ideas.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (2,247 Views)

Re: T510: Sparkling pixels on external DVI LCD monitor

have you tried a different dp to dvi adapter?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Message 3 of 5 (2,243 Views)

lead_org wrote:
have you tried a different dp to dvi adapter?

If you mean a different make, no. I've tried both of the adapters that I have (swapped work with home) and the problem stayed with the 214T monitor at home. I tried adding a magnetic noise choker to one of them. Didn't help.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 4 of 5 (2,213 Views)

Given that your machine works on the work LCD, but not the home LCD even with the adapter, this means that the problem is not with the laptop itself.

There must be some sort of incompatibility between the converter and home computer.

Okay, the final test you can do with your work LCD, is to set the LCD at work also to 1600 x 1200, see what happens.

I think it is best that you contact the manufacturer of the converter and inquire about this problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Message 5 of 5 (2,187 Views)

This past summer, I had to replace my monitor. The first signs that it was going bad was green sparkling in various areas of the display. Seemed to be in particular color ranges, too, like maybe screen buffer memory (?) in the monitor was going bad and couldn't do full brightness (high bits not sticking or something). Seemed to be made worse by elevated ambient temperature. Got worse and worse over a couple weeks. Gave it away to someone who is just using it for their kids to watch videos -- but not for very long at any sitting! Do you have any other computers you can hook the monitor to? (You might find different patterns in the sparkling if you can't drive the monitor at the same resolution.) At least it wasn't my T61p's GPU...
Top kudoed Authors