Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 2,183
Message 1 of 10

T510 and Windows Upgrade Driver Problem

I've just installed the update to Windows 10 and suddenly the Thinkpad started to act in a totally unusual way, every hour or sometimes half an hour a BSOD appears and suddenly the Thinkpad reboots. I installed an original update but also a lot of features in Thinkpad don't work, like hotkeys and access connections... and reading about the support on the site  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t51... there's no option for T510 and Windows 10, so what's up? I know that the issue is related to drivers and support, but there are "lower" versions of Thinkpad supported, so I don't understand. What should I do? Is there any pack with all the right drivers for Windows 10 and T510 or should I throw it away? I've never had any problem with my Thinkpad (I'm a big fan) but now I'm kind of dissapointed. If anyone have any clue on how to come back to life (as it was) my Thinkpad I will appreciate it.

Thinkpad T510 Model 4313-CTO - Intel Core i7 M620 2.67 GHz - 6 GB RAM - 15.6" - 2 TB HD - Windows 10 Pro

sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 2,129
Message 2 of 10

Re: T510 and Windows Upgrade Driver Problem

Well, it seems it's not easy to understand why a T510 is not supported by Lenovo to use Windows 10, regarding the situation someone knows how to come back to the original Windows 7 Ultimate that came pre-installed in my Thinkpad? I don't have anymore the original disk, is there any place to download it? I prefer a stable computer instead of one with the latest Windows but not knowig what will happen with the behavior of the T510.

Thanks!

Thinkpad T510 Model 4313-CTO - Intel Core i7 M620 2.67 GHz - 6 GB RAM - 15.6" - 2 TB HD - Windows 10 Pro

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,088
Message 3 of 10

Good day.

Sorry you're having difficulties.

If you wish to return your machine to its factory OS OOB state, you'll need to contact Support (info below) and request recovery media. There is no place to download it. You will need to provide your serial number so that the correct OS entitlement can be verified. There may be an associated cost involved.

So as to not splinter the discussion, your duplicate posts have been removed from view.

Regards.

United States

English

1-800-426-7378

24 hours a day 7 days/week

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 2,077
Message 4 of 10

So you mean there's no solution to the drivers issue for the Thinkpad T510? Why this Thinkpad is kind of "ghost" and it's not supported?

Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,069
Message 5 of 10

There may be any number of reasons why a model that is 5 generations old is not supported on Win10.

It may well be that a subcomponent OEM (display, touchpad, chipset, etc) has decided to not build the requisite drivers. In that case, there's nothing to be provided for the system. This is not unique to Lenovo systems. Every system OEM published lists of supported system generations, or provided look-up/query tools to help people decide on upgrade compatibility.

This doesn't mean that Win10 won't run on systems that aren't on any specific OEM's compatibility list. It simply means that it falls to the system owner to find appropriate driver support. Sometimes that might be available from the subsystem OEM's website (Intel, Synaptics, nVidia, etc).

Personally, I have a number of machines that will never have Win10 installed, a really nice X220 for example. They're running perfectly on Win7Pro and will stay there.

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 2,058
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for you answer, but there are older models supported.....and yes, I shouldn't have installed Windows 10 Pro, but I have not many chances since my original HD was damaged. I think there should be a place to download the WIndows 7 Ultimate (and also Lenovo could check the S/N to be sure is the right computer) that came with the Thinkpad instead of asking for an installation media, we are in 2016... Anyway is to rethink about the support, I understand but I don't agree.

Thanks again.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,042
Message 7 of 10

About downloading recovery media, I believe that it's a MS licensing compliance requirement that doesn't allow that.

About older models being supported for upgrade to Win10, I can only speak to ThinkPads from personal experience, but I see nothing in that section of the compatibility list: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535 that is at or earlier than the T510. In fact, it looks like it's the T/W/X x3x and newer models that are supported for upgrade.

Regards.

sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 2,036
Message 8 of 10

Is there anyway to recover the Windows 7 Ultimate key product, I just need that, I don't need the media. If I inform the Type and Model and S/N I suppose it there will be no problem.... do you know if it is possible?

Besides being a 5 or 6 old generations Thinkpad, everybody knows it should be supported... because still is a NICE notebook (even much better than newer models).

Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,030
Message 9 of 10

- Does the machine still have the COA sticker on the bottom? There may be a key listed on it, but I don't know if it would work on a retail disk install. To my knowledge, Lenovo Support won't give you a license key even by supplying model / serial number. Factory OS installs are activated via SLIC 2.1, if I'm not mistaken, and that's how a recovery install gets activated.

- Again, as I mentioned up-thread, there may be successful ways to get Win10 installed on hardware that is not on the official compatibility list (of any OEM). It's simply up to the owner to find any needed drivers, sometimes from alternate sources, and/or to employ other workarounds.

Regards.

sebhuarte1
Serial Port
Views: 1,991
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for your answer and explanation, regarding the support, I insist it should be supported...  and regarding the upgrade and research of drivers is a complicated issue since there are so many drivers and always Windows says they have the latest upgrade... but the computer keeps on freezing and rebooting (every 20 minutes sometimes). Do you know if there will be any Windows 10 upgrade that includes the drivers needed for this computer  (or do you have any clue to look for the right ones... I tried all the methods I know) or should I end up buying the recovery CD with the original WIndows 7 Ultimate Version (since I have changed the original disk that was damaged). 

Thanks!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors