Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Punch Card
0 Kudos

T510, nVidia, and Distorted Graphics?

Hey all,

Just got my new T510 with nVidia graphics. It's running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). I'm noticing graphical distortion on the screen whenever there is some movement of screen items (i.e. playing a Youtube video, minimizing/maximizing windows, and even scrolling a browser window sometimes). The distortion looks like blurring (especially with text)--it's like every other horizontal line of pixels is shifted over a few pixels to the left or right. This the distortion goes away when things stop moving.

Incidentally, I have installed Linux on this laptop and it does NOT have the same issue--so I don't think it's the display. However, I the drivers from nVidia won't install, so I can't exactly update my driver.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any solution?

Thanks.

Retired Guru
0 Kudos

Re: T510, nVidia, and Distorted Graphics?

you can download latest nvidia drivers from here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Please tell if that helps.

Punch Card
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a T510 too with Nvidia graphics (NVS 3100M), and have experienced the same situation - and can replicate it by opening a command prompt window and then drag it quickly sideways to suddenly stop. After this the text in the window will shift pixelwise, for a moment before it becomes perfect again. Anyway, when I investigated this issue, I found it is fixed by choosing the power plan "Maximum performance".

In any of the other power plans, I could replicate the problem, and since I anyway mostly use my laptop on the power supply, I have just set the laptop permanently to this power plan.

Can you confirm my findings with the power plan? :-)

Highlighted
Punch Card
0 Kudos

I have confirmed that setting my power saving to "Maximum Performance" alleviates the graphic distortion. This is not an acceptable solution, however, since I bought my laptop to be portable (I have a desktop for when I want to be plugged in).

I hope this isn't a hardware issue--it would definitely be a deal-breaker for me if I had to sacrifice hours of battery life for this. I'm going to try a different driver and see what happens...

Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,259
Solutions: 1,344
0 Kudos

have you tried updating the bios?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
0 Kudos

Punch Card
0 Kudos

Excellent link!

I can confirm that the setting described works perfectly - here is the solution provided from nanovox:

I went to "Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options" and chose the custom plan (which the lenovo power management program apparently creates) and then I went to "Change advanced power settings" under that plan, and dug down under Display in the tree listing and found what is called "NVIDIA Display Power Saving technology".  I set that to Disabled when on battery (it was set to Enabled) and my problem went away.

Maybe I will edit my settings too now, and try and use another power plan once in a while :-D

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

yup same problem for me too - just got my T510 a week ago

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Hi, I also configured in the same way what you explained but the problem is minimized to some extent only,

and I am looking out for a permanent solution

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Hi, I had same issue. and got fixed when installed new Nvidia graphics (NVS 3100M driver) and updated power management software.

NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T410, T410i, T510, T510i, W510 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75176

Power Manager for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70601

Thank You,