Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lantech
Paper Tape
Views: 1,099
Message 1 of 6

T510, thinkpad display not present unless in safe mode

Odd situation.

The notebook display itself does not work in WIndows (Win7 64).  Boot to safe mode, BIOS, recovery etc it's there and works fine.  But partway through booting up in "normal" mode the notebook LCD goes blank.  

An external LCD works fine.

Going to graphics options, there is no option for the notebook display.  In device manager, and enabling display of disconnected devices the Thinkpad LCD does show up as a disconnected device.

Again, booting to safe mode, BIOS setup or Thinkpad recovery the notebook LCD works just fine.  Just not in Windows 7 normal mode.

Uninstalling the Intel video driver resolves this, reinstalling it brings the problem right back.  Also have installed the latest version directly from Intel's site to no avail.

I should note that Fn-F7 brings up the menu, but changes nothing.

Former Employee
Views: 1,071
Message 2 of 6

Re: T510, thinkpad display not present unless in safe mode

hey lantech,

curious to know, what is the current version of the graphic card that you're using ?

and is it the nvidia or the intel integrated graphic card ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
lantech
Paper Tape
Views: 1,056
Message 3 of 6

It's the Intel integrated card.  I don't know the exact version numbers now.  I pulled the latest from the Intel site, as well as the Lenovo site first to no avail.

I've given up and am doing a factory restore.

lantech
Paper Tape
Views: 1,031
Message 4 of 6

Doing a factory restore fixed the problem, but now I have just heard about a customer that had the exact same problem occur. On the same model machine.
Guru
Views: 1,021
Message 5 of 6

The Windows graphics subsystem and/or driver was probably botched...

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,005
Message 6 of 6

@lantech wrote:
Doing a factory restore fixed the problem, but now I have just heard about a customer that had the exact same problem occur. On the same model machine.

Open a command prompt as administrator then run "sfc /scannow". If the issue is a corrupted system file this should fix it.

From the MS support site:

Some commands that you can run using Command Prompt might require elevated or administrative privileges. To run these commands, you can use the Run as administrator command.

To run Command Prompt as an administrator
  1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.

3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors