Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XGC75
Paper Tape
Views: 994
Message 1 of 2

T510 unwanted audio compression

I'm getting some pretty obnoxious audio compression from my T510 (i5, Nvidia 3100M) when the output frequency is narrowed to within a small range. When a bass or treble frequency comes into play it only takes a half a second for the audio to open back up across all bands so I'm confident this is a sofware (or firmware, same thing...) issue. In addition the same effect is realized through the headphone jack. Recording the output with a media recorder like Audacity also produces the same compression as well.

Now I can appreciate the power saving that can be made by not decompressing audio to the full extent but the fact of the matter is that I'm an audiophile and any compression at all drives me absolutely bonkers. As the specs would indicate, this laptop wasn't made for the marathon so much as the 100 meter dash.

I'm running Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD with driver version 4.95.43.52. Somebody get rid of this compression for me, please!

Dr_Zzz
What's DOS?
Views: 768
Message 2 of 2

Re: T510 unwanted audio compression

I guess that after 3 years you'll probably have found the solution. But as I was facing the same problem and found the solution, I will post it here for anybody in the future having the same problem.

It's a Windows 7 "feature". To get rid of it, you have to go to Control Panel - Sound, then select your speaker (if not already selected) - Properties. Then select the "Enhancements" tab and check "Deactivate all enhancements". Yes, even if nothing else is checked. The compression will be gone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors