Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helmanfrow
Serial Port
Views: 196
Message 1 of 5

T520 BIOS ISO to USB?

I'm having trouble flashing the BIOS on a T520 using the Windows flashing package. It keeps blue-screen-ing, so I downloaded the CD image, thinking I could use Etcher or Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Both of these programs balk at the ISO, however, claiming that it is not bootable. Etcher allowed me to put it on a USB flash drive anyway, but the system won't boot from it.

I'm all for burning the image to CD except I haven't had blank CD-Rs lying around in ages. I'm sure I can find one somewhere, but in the meantime is there any way to make this image work on a USB flash drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 177
Message 2 of 5

Re: T520 BIOS ISO to USB?

I don't know of a way to do that from Windows, but from Linux - installed, in a VM, or live on a flash drive:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Updating-the-BIOS-via-USB-X220-s-running-Linux/...

Perhaps others here will have a better angle.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 165
Message 3 of 5

I don't think the iso can be run from a USB thumb drive.  I am concerned, however, about why the windows-based update gets a blue screen.  Are you sure there isn't some sort of hardware problem?  Memory?  Disk?  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Helmanfrow
Serial Port
Views: 112
Message 4 of 5

I was a little surprised that it failed, too.

I tested the (original 4GB of) memory with Windows' boot-time utility and it comes up roses. I could test again with another utility. The (mSATA) SSD is some off-brand affair I got on Amazon.ca for like $55. I also installed a spinning rust WD HDD (7200 RPM) in the 2.5" bay. Everything seems fine in daily operation. Maybe the issue is Windows 10? The only other thing I can think of is the PCI Serial Device without a driver, which seems to plage a lot of older systems running Windows 10. I've got another thread on that topic.

Helmanfrow
Serial Port
Views: 111
Message 5 of 5

Linux isn't my bag and I found someone with a spindle of CD-Rs so I'll probably go that route.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors