Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_77
Not applicable
Views: 892
Message 1 of 15

T520 Battery Rattle (Noise)

I just purchased two T520s with the 9 cell battery and it appears that the fit is not correct.  I pickup either of the laptop and can feel the battery moving around and making noice.

I searched the forum and didn't see anything on this.  Just seems strange that both laptops are doing this.  I also have a T400 and the battery is snug on it.

Serge1410
Not applicable
Views: 866
Message 2 of 15

Re: T520 Battery Rattle (Noise)

hey Chris_77,

would it be possible for you to video it and upload it to youtube ?

i would like to see it.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Chris_77
Not applicable
Views: 849
Message 3 of 15

I will do this tomorrow.  I have two with the exact same issue and another family member just received theirs with the same issue.

Chris_77
Not applicable
Views: 828
Message 4 of 15

Sorry this took so long.

Here is a Link to the video.  Was trying to figure out video feature on D3100.

John_36
Not applicable
Views: 802
Message 5 of 15

Hello Chris_77

Did you get your rattling battery issue corrected?

I recently purchased a Lenovo T520 at the end of September 2011 and I am have the exact same issue with the battery rattling around and loose.  I contacted Lenovo Support and was sent a replacement battery, however the replacement does the same.

Is this a known issue or is it a bad batch of batteries and/or notebooks?

Chris_77
Not applicable
Views: 793
Message 6 of 15

Hello, sorry, no resolution as of yet.

damog
Not applicable
Views: 774
Message 7 of 15

I was a bit shocked by the fit of the 9-cell battery on my T520, too. It flapped around with about 3mm of play and made quite a racket when I was carrying the machine. On its very first day out of the box, I took some little sticky foam pads I had lying around and stuck a few on the case under the battery and it got rid of the rattle. Not eactly a great first impression of the "legendary" ThinkPad build quality.

The pads are the type used under furniture legs to protect floors, only really small ones about 8mm in diameter and 1mm thick. I had to stack them two or three high in places, because the fit of the battery was so bad.

Dean_J
Not applicable
Views: 764
Message 8 of 15

I have 2 new T520's...1 with Intel graphics and 1 with NVidia Optimus, both with the standard 6-cell battery.  The batteries appear to be by different manufacturers, and BOTH have this embarrassing rattle! I've got to have on-site support look at a screen problem, so I'm going to request this to be fixed too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
T520 / i7-2630QM / Optimus HD+ / Crucial M4 SSD
Chris_77
Not applicable
Views: 757
Message 9 of 15

I talked to support last night and there is no known issue with the battery rattle.  They have sent out a new battery to see if this fixes the issue.  I almost want drive a screw through battery into the laptop just to stop the rattle  Man Sad

Wish I had a dock that I could just sit it on and keep it there.  Will have to wait a few years for a price drop as the dock price is crazy $$$$

Dean_J
Not applicable
Views: 750
Message 10 of 15

By looking at the way the battery fits into the slot area, it's very obvious that either the battery is too small, or the slot area is too big. I can't believe tech. support couldn't just look at one machine on their side to verify this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
T520 / i7-2630QM / Optimus HD+ / Crucial M4 SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors