Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,477
Message 1 of 8

T520 Keyboard Glitch

As of 6/24/2016, the following keys have been performing very oddly. The following is listed as

key - result

a - \;lkjfdsa <menu?>

q - poiurewq

z - (mutes microphone and keyboard)

1 - 09

` - <ctrl>

<tab> - y{}
<escape> - close?

So if I type "a" I get "\;lkjfdsa" and a pop-up menu. etc. I am noting that all of the keys affected are on the left side of the board. All other keys seem to be working properly. The only way I am able to type this is by the on-screen keyboard.

This problem started with no known event of shock or exposure. I have tried reinstalling drivers, uninstalling recent windows updates, and running windows recovery.

I'm assuming this is a keyboard hardware failure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,463
Message 2 of 8

Re: T520 Keyboard Glitch

It is reasonably certain that you just need a keyboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,455
Message 3 of 8

Thanks. That is reassuring.

I ordered a new keyboard earlier this evening and will report the results when it arrives sometime next week.

I find it highly unusual that I woke up to this problem when the machine has been acting flawlessly otherwise.

Regards

AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,434
Message 4 of 8

So I acquired a new keyboard and it worked great for a few hours. However, the problem has since returned some 3 hours later. This has me concluding that there may be a motherboard issue that is destroying my keyboard circuit? This is very disappointing.

Before I swapped out the keyboard I found that the next column of keys was also glitching. This indicates that damage to the keyboard may be progressing with time.

AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,427
Message 5 of 8

Okay, while editing that last response with the on-screen keyboard, I noted that the scrlk key on the on-screen keyboard was highlighted. I clicked it off and then the screen indicated that scroll lock was "on". Confused, I clicked the button again. 

I can't explain it, but now my keyboard is working perfectly fine. **bleep**? I suspect that I will see this glitch again in the near future. 

AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,422
Message 6 of 8

The problem returned this morning. The scroll lock thing did not do the trick. When I got it to work the night before I also removed my battery and restarted. I repeated this step - removed the battery and restarted. The keyboard is working fine once again. Is there any documentation about batteries messing with keyboards?

AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,398
Message 7 of 8

I've now found that mashing a few of the disfunctional keys together at the same time temporarily fixes the problem.

I'm now considering a non-lenovo replacement laptop.

AnIsotropic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,352
Message 8 of 8

The problem has been resolved and is now fully understood - Humidity led to condensation forming within the keyboard resulting in shorting of the keyboard circuit. Drying out the laptop and keyboard fixed the issue.

I travelled with my laptop to Florida. The relative humidity was 80+% and the dewpoint temperature was around 75F. Note that air conditioned spaces are typically set around 75F. The laptop was likely at or below this temperature when I took it outside to do some work. When taking the laptop outside while cold, humid air entered the laptop and keyboard resulting in condensation within the circuits.

I was able to fix this issue when I returned to California where the dewpoint temperature is closer to 55F. I took apart my laptop to maximize air throughput. I set the laptop on a deck that had some sun exposure yet the laptop itself was still shaded. Air temperature was 90+F with relative humidty near 42% The laptop was oriented to so that the breeze would blow through laptop chasis. I also set out my old and new keyboards so they could dry out. After about 3 hours of drying I reassembled the laptop. The laptop has been working flawlessly ever since.

I've read in other forums that the trick of putting the device in a bag of rice will also dry out the components.

The take-away: Be careful with your laptops in hot, humid environments.

Tags: keyboard, glitch, multiple characters, key columns, humidity, drying

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors