cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simonoc
Paper Tape
Views: 744
Message 1 of 4

T520: No DVD drive for Creating Factory Recovery Disks?

I have just bought a T520 Laptop with Win7 pre-installed. I setup all the software and I want to create the factory recovery disks. I open the ThinkVantage Tools, select Factory Recovery and it it brings up a small dialog box to create media. The drop down box is empty, there is no dvd drive listed. (I certainly have one, I've loaded software from it)

I go to my computer, system properties, device manager and there is no DVD/CD device listed! I right click on the computer and 'Scan for hardware changes'. Eventually it comes back and says it cannot find the DVD drive!

How do I create recovery disks if Lenovo / Win 7 don't recognize the DVD drive?

Is there something else I need to install?

Is the DVD drive broken?

Thanks for any help

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 741
Message 2 of 4

Re: Creating Factory Recovery Disks

Is the drive powered on? Stick a blank in it and see if it spins up, then you should be able to use it.

Simonoc
Paper Tape
Views: 726
Message 3 of 4

The drive is on, I have used it to install software but the OS will not recognise it as an option for creating the recovery disks.I downloaded the firmware update from Lenono and it found the DVD drive and said it was up to date. Win 7 does not have a CD/DVD registered under device drivers but yet I can use it!

Is this something I need to get a lenovo support center to fix?

I assume no one has encountered this problem before?

Simonoc
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 4 of 4

An update:

Trying the windows 7 installation route, maybe it is broken, searched Google and found this:

"Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs"

Microsoft article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Which lead to this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Unfortunately this microsoft solution does not find the CD/DVD device and add it to the device manager. If I put a blank DVD in the drive, win7 recognizes it and brings up some win7 backup application. So the drive is being recognized (somehow) but the Lenovo software still can't see it to create recovery disks.

I have seen a lot of discussion of DVD device errors at tomshardware but that was about dual booting and Linux, I only have win7 and the lenovo partition on the drive. (solid state HD)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors