Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Signme
Paper Tape
Views: 2,899
Message 1 of 7

T520: No Wireless After Reinstall Win 7

This is the 3rd time I've attempted a reinstall of Windows 7 x64 Pro on my T520 laptop with the same problem. Once the install is complete, there's absolutely NO support for a network connection - either LAN or WiFi.

I've tried everything possible - downloading all the various appropriate network drivers and trying each one, installing the Lenovo Access Connections software, connecting with a wired cable directly to the LAN, checking the BIOS to see if WiFi adapter is disabled (doesn't give this option at all).

I'm stumped and sitting here with a laptop that's pretty much useless unless I can figure this out. Previously, I've had to take it in and pay for a fix, but this is now getting silly. It was never a problem before. I've installed Windows operating systems dozens of times before and as long as I had the appropriate hardware and working network to connect to, the installation process would work just fine.

Any help that could be offered would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

JJ

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,844
Message 2 of 7

Re: T520 No Wireless After Reinstall Win 7

Does the WiFi card show up in Device Manager or as an Uknown Device at all?   Have you updated the Chipset driver?      If it does not show up in Device Manager at all, then it is most likey hardware related, if it shows up as unknown, it is most likely a driver issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,788
Message 3 of 7

Check out:
- BIOS Setup ->Security menu -> I/O Port Access. Ethernet LAN and Wireless LAN should be enabled
- wireless devices hardware switch on the laptop case
- Intel Chipset drivers, Lenovo Power Management driver and Hotkey Features Integration package are installed. In this case you should see Ethernet and wlan adapters in the Device Manager. Othervise, are there unknown devices in Other Devices category? If yes, install appropriate Intel LAN adapter and wireless adapter drivers
- hit Fn+F5, network devices control window will appear

Note: please, specify exact laptop model, x220t or T520.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Signme
Paper Tape
Views: 2,775
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for your prompt reply. My comments below...

@x220forme wrote:
Check out:
- BIOS Setup ->Security menu -> I/O Port Access. Ethernet LAN and Wireless LAN should be enabled - DONE
- wireless devices hardware switch on the laptop case - DONE
- Intel Chipset drivers, Lenovo Power Management driver and Hotkey Features Integration package are installed. In this case you should see Ethernet and wlan adapters in the Device Manager. Othervise, are there unknown devices in Other Devices category? If yes, install appropriate Intel LAN adapter and wireless adapter drivers - won't allow me to
- hit Fn+F5, network devices control window will appear - DONE - no response

Note: please, specify exact laptop model, x220t or T520.

Note: I did mention my exact laptop model as T520. :-) As also mentioned in my post, I've checked the BIOS and all the standard methods you've described above. In the Device Manager my system does 'see' network devices but identifies them as unknown/other. I've attempted several times to uninstall these unrecognized devices and have Windows set them up, but of course, it's looking on the internet to download the drivers. :-(

Additional note: I have my system set up with dual boot with Win10 as the other operating system and everything is peachy keen. I've even created a Ubuntu disc and booted with that and the networking works fine. So, I know it's not the hardware.

I've also downloaded several different drivers and software that Lenovo identifies as the correct ones for my hardware/operating system Windows 7 x64. I've even attempted to grab the functional driver file from  my other identical laptop model/OS and copied it into the same directory on the new install.

The thing is, I've never had to jump through any of these hoops before. This is new. Previously, while Windows installs for the first time, it could connect to the internet somehow and perform any necessary operations such as download / install whatever drivers it needs. Lately, that's just not happening.

Furthermore, I'm noticing even the display drivers aren't populating. I have almost no options for changing the screen resolution. Possibly due to a lack of internet connection.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,754
Message 5 of 7

Signme wrote:

> I've attempted several times to uninstall these unrecognized devices and have Windows set them up, but of course, it's looking on the internet to download the drivers.

Did you install network (LAN and wifi) drivers from Lenovo site manually or using ThinkVantage System Update application? What's happening?

> I have my system set up with dual boot with Win10 as the other operating system and everything is peachy keen.

Try to exit win10 completely (using Shift key), boot win7 and enter Device Manager. Are network adapters unknown as earlier? Perform the drivers installations.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,737
Message 6 of 7

Since the devices are showing up as unknown, drivers are what you need, but since you cannot get online, you are going to have to download and install the wireless drivers manually from your Windows 10 installation, and then boot over to Windows 7 to install them.   

The T520 may have come with a number of different WiFi adapters (Intel WIMAX, Intel Wireless LAN and ThinkPad 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN), so just download all of them from the link below, and install them one at a time until one works.  If it is not the correct driver, it will just say it is not compatible and not install.

My guess is it will be the Intel Wireless LAN driver, but I could be wrong.

T520 Laptop (ThinkPad) Wireless LAN Drivers

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t...

Once you get online, go back to http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t... and select the Auto-Detect My Product link at the top, and then you can use the Lenovo System Update to update the rest of your drivers, which should fix the video driver too.     You can also download the video drivers here manually too if desired.

I would avoid any BIOS updates for now, since the often are problematic, so don't the don't fix it if it ain't broken rule applies.

Good Luck,

Signme
Paper Tape
Views: 2,671
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your all your feedback. I was very impressed with how quickly and thoroughly people responded. As a computer trainer teaching technical skills for over 27 years, it amazes me how much knowledge there is and how important that we support each other in figuring out solutions to an increasingly complex online world. So, kudos to all of you for stepping up. Much appreciated.

While none of the responses directly helped, my problem is now solved. To figure out the exact Win7 ethernet network driver to use I discovered a YouTube video suggesting I try this free download: http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html. Once I installed the software and ran a report listing the unknown hardware, I was able to search for, locate and install the correct driver files for the ethernet connection which finally connected me to the internet. From there, it seemed like Windows 7 updates did the rest.

Cheers!

Joy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors