Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eiji-gravion
Paper Tape
Views: 3,982
Message 1 of 8

T520 : hard drive caddy

Hello, I have a thinkpad T520 and I recently purchased the "ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III" from lenovo.com however it didn't come with a hard drive caddy like the internal drive has

This looks like the hard drive caddy it requires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thinkpad-X60-X60s-X61s-Hard-Drive-2-5-Caddy-Kit-YG35A-/320721833450?pt=PCC_D...

Without this the drive will rattle/move around in the bay adapter and not have a firm fit.

It seems very odd to me that lenovo didn't include this considering that it seems to be required. I paid $60 for that bay adapter and I see those drive caddies going for as low as $4 on ebay.

Does anyone know a place where I can get one that does not in anyway involve ebay or paypal? I can't seem to find them on lenovo's site other than having to buy one of their hard drives that seem to include one.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

puccagirl
Punch Card
Views: 3,953
Message 2 of 8

Re: hard drive caddy

I also purchased the drive caddy for my T520 and had the same questions and comments you had.

I think Lenovo expects that you purchase the HD from them with the caddy on it.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,940
Message 3 of 8

I purchased 5 of the hard drive wrappers and rubber rails from someone on eBay years ago.  They have served me well.

CorkyG
802.11n
Views: 3,904
Message 4 of 8

I have used the Ultrabay III adapter now for over a year. The naked HDD fits perfectly, and is secured by flipping down the small hinge at the rear. The HDD does not rattle around. It can also fit with the caddy when the rubber rails are removed. It is a tighter fit laterally, and closing the rear hinge requires more force. A spare caddy is really a good thing to have.
puccagirl
Punch Card
Views: 3,886
Message 5 of 8

I agree... I put a bare drive in the caddy and it seemed ok. Assuming that once its inserted in the DVD slot, it shouldn't move around.

unit88888888
Serial Port
Views: 3,881
Message 6 of 8

Well when i purchased the 500gb hdd and the ultrabay III for the thinkpad t510, the only way which the hdd fits into the ultrabay III is for me to take off the rubber railings and everything else and just put it into the caddy "naked." so far everything has been fine and if you look at the instruction booklet for installing the hdd into the ultrabay III, it specifically states to remove the rubber railings and other stuff and then slide it "naked" into the hdd caddy and then insert it into the thinkpad optical drive area.

CorkyG
802.11n
Views: 3,856
Message 7 of 8

Yes, however, it does fit with caddy and rubber rails removed. http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Corky-G/UB3-CAD2.jpg
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 3,803
Message 8 of 8

If you put the side mounting screws into the drive it will lock into the Ultrabay adapter. Lenovo still should have included the caddy though.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors