cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,479

Question

I was going to do a backup, when I noticed the DVD player icon was no longer showing under My Computer.

I went into Device Manager, where the DVD player showed up with a yellow X .I tried updating the device driver but a message popped and indicated I already had the correct device. I did several other things - such as connecting and testing with other players and devices, but the same thing happened in all scenarios.

Answer

One of the possible causes of this is a registry error or corrupt entry, or even in Hi/Lo filter area of registry. 

Try addressing the problem by following the steps below:

If you are running Windows 7

1. Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.

2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then clickTroubleshooting.

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you are running Windows Vista, 

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.

2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.

3. Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

4. In the navigation panel, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry.

6. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

7. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

9. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Exit Registry Editor.

10. Restart the computer.

If you are running Windows XP, 

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note:  You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

6. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

7. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8. Exit Registry Editor.

9. Restart the computer.

Source: 

Microsoft Support

Was this information helpful?