cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
washburn27
Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 1 of 7

T520 with W10 - No BIOS updates available?

I have a T520. It has a SSD which I upgrded to while it still had Windows 7 Pro. Recently I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. 

My question is: I know that my BIOS version is not the latest. It's probably pretty old. I never upgraded BIOS after buying this laptop. 
When I go to Lenovo support site now, i do NOT see a BIOS version listed under Win 10 for T520. All of the BIOS updates are for Win 7 and older OS. 
Does this mean I can never update the BIOS anymore? I do not have any problems with the T520, it's running fine, but just was curious as to why Lenovo doesn't have a BIOS update for Win 10 listed under their T520 support page. 

If anyone can shed any light on this, i;d appreciate it. Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,236
Message 2 of 7

Re: T520 with W10 - No BIOS updates available?

Hello and welcome,

The Win 7 installer might (or might not) run on Win 10.  I haven't tried that.

How about using the bootable CD version - either in the internal optical drive or an external one?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,221
Message 3 of 7

I think the win7 installer runs fine, but since win 10 isn't officially supported on the T520, the CD (stand-alone iso) version might be safer.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
washburn27
Paper Tape
Views: 1,188
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for replies so far.

I can do the the CD / ISO method.
My fear is:

--Are there any potential dangers to using a Win 7 BIOS update on a laptop running Win 10? (even if I am using the ISO method)
--What precautions can I take to prevent/safeguard if I go through with this?

Thanks again!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,183
Message 5 of 7

First, on any machine, there is always a slight risk when doing a BIOS update.  With the ISO method, it makes no difference what operating system (if any) is on your machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
washburn27
Paper Tape
Views: 1,179
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. I do understand the slight risk.
Good to know the ISO method is OS independant.

I checked my BIOS version and it's 1.36
Current version is 1.46...
IDK what changes were made from 1.36 upwards as the lenovo site only mentions changes made since last (1.45) ...

I wonder if it is even worth it or if I'd gain anything from updating to latest BIOS. (in other words, how ancient IS 1.36?) . Have to ponder....
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,155
Message 7 of 7

Good day.

Have a look at the v1.46 readme.txt: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/8auj27uc.txt and scroll down towards the bottom. You'll see a change history, version by version.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors