Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avshalom
What's DOS?
Views: 519
Message 1 of 7

T530 Bluetooth disconnecting when I pick up the laptop

I have a T530 laptop and occasionally, when I pick it up (physically) or if it's on a non-flat surface, I see a message flickering for a second on the screen that bluetooth services is disconnecting (or something like that - it's disappears too fast to read properly) and the bluetooth device stops functioning.

The laptop is about a year old, but this has been happening since I bought it - it just took me some time to figure out that picking it up is the cause. I think the laptop warps a little and this causes something to disconnect.

After this is happening, the only way to restore it is to restart the machine.

Is this a known issue with this model or is it just my unit?

Guru
Views: 498
Message 2 of 7

Re: T530 Bluetooth disconnecting when I pick up the laptop

Haven't seen this before. Is the physical radio switch on the left loose at all?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Avshalom
What's DOS?
Views: 475
Message 3 of 7

Nope - not loose at all.

And when the issue happens, wifi is intact, so I don't think it's the radio button.

SeniorGuru
Views: 466
Message 4 of 7

Also check that the Bluetooth daughter card is installed properly. 

See Bluetooth daughter card removal

What's DOS?
Views: 462
Message 5 of 7

Checked it too - it's firmly in place.
I also tried poking it while the machine was running to check if it has any faulty circuits, but directly poking it (applying pressure to different areas of the card) has no effect. only picking up the laptop from the left corner seems to cause this issue.
brendanl79
What's DOS?
Views: 441
Message 6 of 7

I have this exact issue and was about to open up my laptop to check the connection until I came across this thread. Not sure if I should bother now. But I wanted you to know you are not alone!
bshensky
What's DOS?
Views: 251
Message 7 of 7

You are not alone here either.  I am FED UP with this bluetooth problem.

Thinking it was a bum BT board, I purchased a replacement.  I installed it but the problem persisted.

Looking at the way the bluetooth module was seated on the motherboard connector vs the clearance provided by the mounting screw, I used a Dremel tool to burr down the height of the screw hole, thinking it would cause the bluetooth's module to better seat to its motherboard connector.  This also did no good.

I have noticed that if I provide even a slightest bit of pressure where my right palm rests, the bluetooth module disconnects and Windows goes into its device manager disconnect frenzy.

Thinking now that the problem has less to do with the mounting screw or the device/motherboard connector, I'm thinking that something *UNDER* or *ON TOP OF* the motherboard is shorting out the bluetooth module when the pressure is applied.  It has nothing to do with the BT module itself.  This is just POOR Lenovo motherboard design on this model.

My next go, I may try to wedge some nonconductive material under the motherboard, to see if that prevents the disconnection.  Who knows at this point...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors