Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerdgoebel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,466
Message 1 of 7

T530 External keyboard starts 'delayed'

Just got my new T530. I hooked it up to a 4338 dock in the office and use an external keyboard there.

When cold booting the external keyboard does not work during boot up (for example when the dual boot screen is displayed) and even on the logon screen it takes about 30 seconds before the keyboard becomes active.

I tried all the ports on the dock, but the keyboard behaves the same.

Even undocked, when I connect the keyboard to any USB port on the T530 I have the 'delayed' start of the keyboard.

I checked the USB settings in BIOS and they are all enables.

The keyboard is a recent Logitec version.

I had used the same keyboard on my T61 which also was docked in the office and that combination worked just fine.

Any ideas if there is a setting I would need to change?

SOA
Punch Card
Views: 1,456
Message 2 of 7

Re: T530 External keyboard starts 'delayed'

Hi gerd,

I encoutered the same problem here with my W530 and the docking station.

If the receiver is connected directly to the W530 everything works immediately but in the dock there is a long delay.

Seems to be the USB part of the dock has to be initialized while booting.

I would also be glad to here of some kind of solution or workaround.

________________________________________________________________________________________
W530 2438 CTO - i7-3720 QM - K2000M - FHD - 16 GB - SSD Samsung 830 Series 128 GB - Windows 7, 64 bit
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,449
Message 3 of 7

gerdgoebel and SOA,

Can you try different keyboard? Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Just a suggestion, try plugging the keyboard into the USB on the laptop then do a cold boot. During cold boot, keep spamming F1 and see if you are able to boot into BIOS.

Once that is done then post the results then try connecting the USB to the dock and see if you are able to boot to the BIOS.

Also is the Windows the Lenovo Preloaded ones?

I did want to test this however I am using a T420 ...

Thanks

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
gerdgoebel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,445
Message 4 of 7

No luck.

I tried each USB port on the T530 whilst undocked and none worked during the boot process.

My Logitec keyboard is an illuminated one and the 'lights are out' during the boot process, indicating that no power is available on the USB port where the keyboard is plugged in.

I tried another keyboard and its exactly the same. Nothing happens when buttons are pressed.

The power seems to be available about 30 seconds after i get the Windows logon screen. Thats also when the light comes on on my keyboard.

Right after I got the T530 i did a system update, but the BIOS is on the latest version but other drivers were updated.

And regarding the Windows version, its the preloaded one from Lenovo.

gerdgoebel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,441
Message 5 of 7

Interstingly, the 2nd keyboard i tried was also a Logitec but not an illuminated one. That keyboard did not work either.

But I now just tried my wifes Apple keyboard, which apparantely worked correctly. Tabbing the F1 key got me into the BIOS setup screen.

So it looks like its my Logitec keyboard that is causing the problem.

SOA
Punch Card
Views: 1,410
Message 6 of 7

I am on preloded windows with current BIOS version. According to lenovo update tool all drivers and software are current. Logitech software is also current

If I plug the logitech unifying receiver directly in the laptop all ist working correct, I can access bios and keyboard is working immediately. If I plug it in any usb-port of the docking station keyboard and mouse are delayed.

Keypoard is a Logitech K360 and mouse is Logitech M705.

________________________________________________________________________________________
W530 2438 CTO - i7-3720 QM - K2000M - FHD - 16 GB - SSD Samsung 830 Series 128 GB - Windows 7, 64 bit
BrooklynGuy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,224
Message 7 of 7

I'm having the same delay issue with a T430s and a Lenovo mini dock using a Das Mechanical keyboard.
Did you ever solve your delay issue? I can't figure out if it's the dock, the laptop or the keyboard.
I'm also finding that an external HD occasionally loses USB connection which is making backing up impossible.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors