cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoDoLot
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,085
Message 1 of 10

[T530] How to remove keyboard with stripped stuck screw - photo.

Hi,

I've got stuck keyboard screw in my T530 - photo. Screw is totally stuck - I tried everything, how could I now remove keyboard? Is it possible to remove keyboard if I drill only the head of screw, or I have to drill out whole screw?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,045
Message 2 of 10

Re: [T530] How to remove keyboard with stripped stuck screw - photo.

What I have done in the past that worked for me, was to apply just a drop of super glue or epoxy to the tip of a small Philips screw driver, or even another small screw that is about the diameter of the stripped screw head, hold it in place until the glue dries, and then gently try to remove the screw, just be sure to not put too much glue on the tip, or it might spill over and glue the stripped screw in place even worse.     It is possible that the screw was cross threaded given that it stripped, and if so, epoxy might be better as it will hold stronger than super glue.

You can also buy miniature screw extractors, but they usually are hard to source locally.  

Good luck 

DoDoLot
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,037
Message 3 of 10

@JDGillis wrote:

What I have done in the past that worked for me, was to apply just a drop of super glue or epoxy to the tip of a small Philips screw driver, or even another small screw that is about the diameter of the stripped screw head, hold it in place until the glue dries, and then gently try to remove the screw, just be sure to not put too much glue on the tip, or it might spill over and glue the stripped screw in place even worse.

I wrote that i tried everything also this method with epoxy glue - it didnt worked. Screw is totaly stuck.

I had to drill it, but this screw is long and small 1.4mm x 2cm and its very close to the motherboard. I wonder if its possible to drill only the head but the keyboard might not release... Maybe there is any service procedure or something.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,030
Message 4 of 10

I use a 2mm reverse-thread bit and start to drill it out.  Usually that grabs it enough to remove the screw.  If not, as soon as you get through the head and the head spins, stop.  You will need tp take the base cover off and grab the shaft with something like vise-grip pliers.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,026
Message 5 of 10

Well if you do not have a miniature screw extracter, which most people do not, I would try using a drill bit just a bit smaller than the recess where the screw is located, and gently drill away the screw head itself as you mentioned, once the head is removed from the screw, you will be able to remove the cover, and then deal with removing the remaining screw.   I would probably wrap some tape around the bit to create sort of a depth stop if possible, or be patient and go slowly with the drill bit until the head is gone, or thin enough to pry apart with a pick.

A Dremel type mini rotary tool might be usefull too if you have one.

Good Luck..

DoDoLot
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,989
Message 6 of 10

@richk wrote:

I use a 2mm reverse-thread bit and start to drill it out.  Usually that grabs it enough to remove the screw.  If not, as soon as you get through the head and the head spins, stop.  You will need tp take the base cover off and grab the shaft with something like vise-grip pliers.

I also tried 2mm reverse-thread bit - no results. To remove bottom cover you have to first remove palmrest, keyboard and motherboard...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,969
Message 7 of 10

No.  Remove the battery, HDD, DVD, Express card filler.  After you drill out the screw. you can remove the keyboard.  Remove the palmrest.  Then remove the other screws on the bottom and the 2 LCD screws under black screw covers on the back.  The bottom cover can be removed, if you are careful, leaving the LCD attached to the frame with the motherboard, CPU, fan, etc. still in place.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

DoDoLot
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,961
Message 8 of 10

@richk wrote:

No.  Remove the battery, HDD, DVD, Express card filler.  After you drill out the screw. you can remove the keyboard.  Remove the palmrest.  Then remove the other screws on the bottom and the 2 LCD screws under black screw covers on the back.  The bottom cover can be removed, if you are careful, leaving the LCD attached to the frame with the motherboard, CPU, fan, etc. still in place.

The screw theard is located only in keyboard so there is no need to remove bottom cover but It will be very difficult to drill out whole screw.

I am afraid that it wouldnt be possible to remove keyboard if I drill only head of screw.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,948
Message 9 of 10

In order to grab the shaft if the screw with vice grips, the cover must be removed.  I am only telling you how I would do it.  If you are not comfortable with a complicated repair, don't do it.

Rich

prowling
Punch Card
Views: 1,932
Message 10 of 10

I am not an expert, but here is my 2 cents. I think it will be a problem if you only remove the head, since the keyboard needs to be moved sideways to remove it. What i would do is take a dremel and make a slit in the head. That way you can use a flathead to unscrew it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors