Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 857
Message 1 of 9

T530 Long Boot Time and Lock-Up

New T530 with SSD takes minutes to boot to useable state:

Desktop comes up fast, but continuous hard drive activity for two minutes on bootup, and screen is locked up (can't start anything).

Every so often while I'm in a program the pointer goes into the rotating circle mode, also, so it appears something is popping in there.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do to get the same fast boot time as my T500 with an SSD?

I've gotten the most recent updates from Lenovo and Microsoft (including latest BIOS update, which didn't help).

Ran MalwareBytes and CCleaner, which don't show anything bad.

Very disappointed so far.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 839
Message 2 of 9

Re: T530 Long Boot Time and Lock-Up

When it hangs while you are running, hit ctrl-alt-delete and choose task manager to see what is using CPU time. Are you using something like a domain controller for authentication? If so, is it always available? Often, this kind of problem occurs when searching for network shares

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 825
Message 3 of 9

Rich,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I can't even bring up Task Manager; everything locks up.

Today, it took almost 5 mintues of steady hard drive activity before screens started popping up (task manager, internet explorer, my email program), and they all popped up at once.

Not using a domain controller.

Once things activate, I can bring up task manager, but nothing seems out of the ordinary there useage-wise. No heavy hitters.

I was wondering if, on bootup, the hard drive is going into a cleanup mode, but that doesn't seem like it would prevent programs from running.

Any other thoughts? I've got a T61 and a T500 with no issues. Was really surprised at the problem with this one. I went the SSD route for faster bootup, and this long wait has me perplexed.

Guru
Views: 808
Message 4 of 9

Does it do the same thing booting to Safe Mode?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 780
Message 5 of 9

Sorry for the delayed response.

No, it doesn't hang like it does in a straight boot.

I first tried safe mode only, and it -strangely- hung on restart (lots of hard drive activity for about 20 seconds), then restarted.

I then tried safe mode with networking; no problems and good internet.

This response is from the first restart in normal mode. Every so often I get the "busy" pointer for a second or two, and intermittent hard drive activity, but not the constant hard drive light and no hang.

Wait a minute: I've now got steady hard drive light (it's been going for a couple minutes). Doesn't seem to be locking things up... I'l try starting another program...

Welll... there was a slight pause as I tried to start an email program, and things locked up for about a minute, then the email started and this screen came back with no typing lost (whew). I shut down email without getting mail and came back to this. It doesn't seem to be program-specific; I've tried other programs with the same hand-before-start, then they al come up.

I must say, the hang time was much less during this episode, and started later in the "On" cycle.

Still occasioanl hard drive activity (every 1/2 to 2 seconds the light comes on).

Still frustrating, as this machine is a replacement for my wife, and I don't want to give her a "problem".

Thanks for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 773
Message 6 of 9

I don't know who made your SSD, but go to their site and find a diagnostic program

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 756
Message 7 of 9

I'll give it a try and post what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted
pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 748
Message 8 of 9

Update: 

After a few quick contacts to Lenovo Support and running a few diagnostics, it turns out to be a bad SSD.

Lenovo is sending out a replacement hard drive.

Thanks for the help!

pbca
What's DOS?
Views: 746
Message 9 of 9

Now, How do I change that stupid "What's DOS" that got there by default?

love DOS. Or, at least, I loved it...   :-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors