Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kionez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,077
Message 1 of 7

T530 - Strange issue with RAM after BIOS update

Hi all,

tomorrow I update the BIOS to latest version (2.58), after this operation my laptop can't boot: pressing the power-on button it displays only a black screen and the power-on led...

I've tried everything I can do to get it working, I was ready to call support for a warranty repair when I tried to remove the extra 4gb RAM: whitout it my laptop boots fine... I try to replace the module with another 4GB, which is new but without success.

So, after the bios update I can use my laptop only without extra RAM modules installed.. obiuvsly it works fine before.

Is a faulty motherboard\memory slot or there is something I can check? I need at least 8gb for my work...

thanks in advance

k.

kionez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,056
Message 2 of 7

Re: T530 - Strange issue with RAM after BIOS update

I'm investigating but without success..

With older bios (2.50) I can use the 4gb RAM on-board and a 4gb module on the memory slot..
With newer one (2.58) I can only use the 4gb on-board, if I put in the memory module it wont boot (after power on it shows a black screen, without any beep or error, simply it remains black and the bios won't start)

Any ideas?

k.
kionez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,048
Message 3 of 7

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,033
Message 4 of 7

you should have 1333 or faster

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kionez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,022
Message 5 of 7

Ok, it makes sense, but why everything works fine until a specific BIOS version? I used my 4Gb @ 1066Mhz (was an Amazon's advice) for about 6 months without any problem. It seems I can't downgrade BIOS prior to 2.56, so I have to buy another memory module.

I read every BIOS changelog, but I can't find when this limitation is implemented, maybe allowing slower RAM was a bug.. but why they don't tell us?

I'm disappointed.

k.
Former Employee
Views: 975
Message 6 of 7

Hi Kionez,

Please view the below link on the recomemended RAM.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=PD024683

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jozed
What's DOS?
Views: 86
Message 7 of 7

Hi, the system was originally shipped with 4GB RAM - 2x2GB 1066 - and there is no warning and the BIOS update is recommended by Lenovo Update application. BIOS update was performed successfully, but after upgrade, system is unable to boot.

BIOS downgrade is not supported -there is warning in readme file for this BIOS update - that no BIOS downgrade is possible.

In addition, thank you Lenovo for making my 4GB RAM not working anymore.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors