Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWall
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 358
Message 1 of 6

T530 Windows 7/8 Dual Drive

I have a SSD in the main drive spot that has windows 8 installed and original HDD with windows 7 in DVD bay. When I boot from windows 7 I get the message that one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency. Is there anything I can change so it will stop scanning my drives?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 337
Message 2 of 6

Re: T530 Windows 7/8 Dual Drive

Hi JWall,

I'm going to *guess* that Win 8 isn't doing a full dead-cold shutdown, but is using some kind of hybrid shutdown - more like hibernation.  This leaves the SSD looking inconsistent to Win 7.

See if forcing '8 to fully shut down stops the '7 warning: How to Do a Full Shutdown in Windows 8 Without Disabling Hybrid Boot  You may not like the "fix" but this could at least confirm what's going on. I haven't tested this myself.

[edit] If my *guess* is confirmed, you may need to always force a full Win 8 shutdown - if you ever intend to access SSD files from Win 7.  Touching a hibernated filesystem from outside the hibernated OS will _cause_ inconsistencies when that hibernated OS (Win 8 in this case) is booted back up.  May lead to data loss.

Been there with multiboot win and lin systems. It's not pretty...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 328
Message 3 of 6

Wasn't this question already in a different thread

JWall
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 309
Message 4 of 6

Would it fix the problem to only access data from a partition on the Windows 7 Hard Drive that isn't part of the  Windows 7 OS?

JWall
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 305
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for the link, I was wondering if this would also fix the problem? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 272
Message 6 of 6

@JWall wrote:

Thank you for the link, I was wondering if this would also fix the problem? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

That is what I recommended.

Top Kudoed Authors