Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redart
Token Ring
Views: 257
Message 1 of 6

T530 display died :(

Hi All,

I seem to have killed my T530's built-in display output.  External monitor works fine (using it now) but there is nothing showing on the laptop panel.  The panel itself is fine -checked in an X1 Carbon gen1.

Problem started after I connected a 14" panel that I bought for the aforementioned X1 Carbon.  The panel was a mess of lines in the X1, so after checking on panelook.com and figuring they were compatible (LP140WD2-TLD2 vs LP156WD1-TLB2 - both LVDS, 2 channel, 6 bit, 40 pin, 3.3V), I connected it to the T530. Nothing showed.  Then when I put the T530's panel back it also showed nothing.

Initially both the laptop panel and the external monitor showed up in the Device Manager. Now only the external monitor is showing.

So, question is, is there a fuse on the mobo that I might have blown, and if so, does anyone know where it is?.   Thanks for reading.

Regards.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 244
Message 2 of 6

Re: T530 display died :(

All motherboards are not the same, but there is a 2 or 3 amp fuse very near the LCD connector. (sometimes on the opposite side)  If LEDs on the bezel are also out (all but bluetooth), a 0.5 amp fuse is also blown.  Mouser.com is the best source.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
redart
Token Ring
Views: 225
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply richk.  Both the hdd and wifi bezel lights are on so hopefully just the back light fuse that's gone.  However, I'm thinking if it's just the backlight fuse, then wouldn't you expect to see a shadow of the display when shining a light at the screen?. Also, the display doesn't show up in Device Manager, or HWinfo.  Would a blown backlight fuse make the panel invisible to the OS ?.

redart
Token Ring
Views: 204
Message 4 of 6

As an update, have had no luck finding the culprit in a blown fuse. Not sure if relevant but in Windows advanced Display information, the panel is once again recognized, but only with a max resolution of 1024x768. Also the Bit depth is listed as "0-bit" and there's no Colour Format value!.  HWiINFO lists the panel as:  Monitor Name: "Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)"  and Manufacturer as "NotebookPanel". under Supported Video Modes it lists only 1024x768, with a description of 0 x0 mm, Pixel Clock 65.00 MHz.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 192
Message 5 of 6

With no "ghost/unlit image" and wrong resolution, it could be either the motherboard or the display  If the panel is sensed at the wrong resolution (cable possible but less likely) , I would start with the panel.  The machine is 5 generations old and it may not be economically sound to start replacing pieces

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
redart
Token Ring
Views: 184
Message 6 of 6

Thanks again richk. 

The lack of ghost image and the lowered resolution had me thinking it might be something more than just a blown fuse.....however......after further close inspection I found that F7 (3 amp as you suggested, on the underside of the board below the video connector) was indeed open.  After a few attempts (my soldering sucks)  I got it bridged and the panel sprung back to life.  Will order up a replacement SMD to complete the job.  Thanks again for your help.  

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors