cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bassamie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,060
Message 1 of 8

T530, mSata not safe for use as OS drive?

According to the User manual, an mSata drive should not be used as an OS drive.

"If your computer is equipped with both a hard disk drive and an mSATA solid state drive, you are

not recommended to use the mSATA solid state drive as a bootable device. The mSATA solid state drive is

designed and developed for “cache” function purpose only. If you use the mSATA solid state drive as a

bootable device, its reliability is not guaranteed." Page 109

User manual: http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/t530_w530_ug_en.pdf

Can anyone comment?

And also, is it a SATAII or a SATAIII port that is available for use in the T530?

Thanks in advance!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,057
Message 2 of 8

Re: T530, mSata not safe for use as OS drive?

MLC NAND is fairly reliable but when the system starts to go the mSATA or SSD fails quickly with little or no time to recover.

Magneto optically if far more reliable media but much slower. NAND has limits and stresses causing NAND failure. Hence data may be lost if not managed properly by the onboard controller of which the Sandforce controller widely used is the most troublesome. Here is merely one of many documents -http://www.anandtech.com/tag/sandforce I highly recommend Googling reviews on SSD's as there are many including Tomshare tests You want facts not personal opinions. Then you be the judge once informed!

If you do use mSATA because of the major speed boost you should have current images of the drive since you'll not be able to do much once you realize its dying or dead.

Edit:

I personally would not by an SSD device with a SandForce controller or TLC NAND. The Samsung 840 uses TLC NAND. Marvell controller do stand out however.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

bassamie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,039
Message 3 of 8

So this question is more complex then I thought it would be. At the least, I understand why Lenovo warns agains't mSata usage as your primary drive.

Let me ask this, is there something fundamentally different between the E530 and the T530 that would make the mSata drive on the latter more susceptible to degradation/damage? I ask only because I found no such warning in the user manual of the E530. I know that the E530 has only a SATAII connection available for mSata, what about the T530?

And the Marvell controller being better because it doesn't have the TRIM issues that the Sandforce based mSata drives do?

Thanks again!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,023
Message 4 of 8

No, this is a Thinkpad forum but the nature of the beast (SSD or mSATA) is the same other than packaging or lack there of and implementation. Understanding the tradeoffs and limitations of NAND is important IMO although a quantum leap faster does not offer what a good HD does.

PS: I see you've done some reading good. An informed user not swallowing what some people just say is a smart informed user. The way it should be. Thats the way I handle it when I was in technical sales/support and service years ago.

But none of this is system dependant other than the cases where a certain version is not compatible for some technical/physical reason.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

teakhull
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,740
Message 5 of 8

Received my Crucial msata drive today (which I planned to use as my boot drive. Of course, 5 minutes after opening the package, I come across this topic.

Does anybody have more info regarding this issue? Anyone with adverse experiences? Is there a configuration that will reduce the risk of failure?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,735
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

My reading of that warning not to use the SSD as an OS drive is that it's talking about the specific SSD supplied with the laptop, not SSDs in general.

After all, there are plenty of Lenovo laptops shipped with SSDs as the primary drive.

The Crucial m4 mSATA in my T420 is running just fine, thanks.  OTOH tripplec has a good point about backup images.  I still have a HDD in my T (set to spin down when idle) and keep an Acronis image of the SSD on it.  Also external backup of both drives.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

teakhull
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,732
Message 7 of 8

Ah, okay. Thanks for laying my worries to rest = )
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 569
Message 8 of 8
Moved:

Re: .e530, mSata not safe for use as OS drive?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors