Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kris237
802.11n
Views: 285
Message 1 of 6

T530 with sticky "g" key - how fix?

T530 with sticky "g" key - how fix? (actually poorly connecting key! )

At some point this T530 which was new to me maybe a year ago started having problems with the "g" key - 7/8 of the time that I press it while typing along, it apparently does not make contact. I have taken the key thing off and blown at it and looked for probs but see none. I can press a bunch of g's into notepad or whatever but see no problem with angle or pressure.  I have had the keyboard out and disconnected while checking for dust around the cpu. No problem is obvious from the underside and the ribbon cable has been removed and reseated with no change in problem. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!!!

EDIT: I am currently on 8.1 but had same problem with 7 and Ubuntu up to 19.04 .

EDIT: check that - I just took off the key caps (little square key things) for d f and g and noticed that the contraption under the g key wasn't sitting down correctly like the d and f keys so poked at it carefully until it snapped back down into place and that seems to have fixed it. Marked solved for now. Still hasen't fixed my typos and spelling errors but... Smiley Happy - I love this laptop!!! Smiley Very Happy

Moral of this story - I had always only checked the g key and thought it was okay, but never compared it to other keys for what that mechanism was supposed to look like. Dumb!

-------- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, Win8.1 Pro x64, 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 250GB SSD. -------
Kris237
802.11n
Views: 254
Message 2 of 6

Re: T530 with sticky "g" key - how fix?

okay, not quite solved yet - it still skips often when pressed.

- Popped the key off again and pressed on the little rubber center thing (this is the rubber cover over the actual switch which tends to keep the coffee that you spilled on your keyboard away from the switch contacts)(DON'T try to pull it off!!!) - I found that for the g key, when it clicks down it does not make contact immediately the way the f and d keys do - that is I have to press a tiny bit more for it to make contact. 

- I did try to remove that scissor thing but was not able to and probably a good thing because the way it is in there I probably would have broken it, and I don't think it has anything to do with the price of eggs anyway - I think it just encourages the key to travel up and down in a vertical manner rather than side to side during a key-press.

- So, it's that center nub. So what I have tried is to pop the g key off and on the underside of that key where it presses aginst the nub (there's a small cross of plastic), I added some layers of tiny pieces of duct tape.  I used duct tape because it is probably the sticky-est tape I have. But it is thin (cheap brand x duct tape) so I used about 4 layers. ymmv. Then I just popped the key cover back on an tried typing away.

- so far I haven't missed a g key though I notice I occasionally miss other letters when I am not careful. Smiley Very Happy

So let me play with this for a bit and I will report back.

- key scissor thing removal: I did see youtube videos of folks removing that on V, Y, and Ideapads but not on a T or Thinkpad. Again, I don't think that has anything to do with this and if you break it you may have destroyed your Thinkpad. Also DON'T remove the rubber nub or, again, new laptop.

EDIT: I just checked the other keys and they all seem fine - that is, they make contact immediately when pressed. it's possible that the location of the g key makes it more vulnerable to wear, or possibly someone whanged it too hard at one point. Who knows. Okay, off for a day or 2 of testing.

-------- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, Win8.1 Pro x64, 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 250GB SSD. -------
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 249
Message 3 of 6

Used T530 keyboards are cheap on eBay.  (same as T430, W530, T230)  You can get backlit or not.  They are easy to replace - remove battery; remove memory cover, 2 screws.

The manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t530_t530i_w530_hmm_en_0b48474_03.pdf?li...Smiley Tongue

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
olak
Paper Tape
Views: 240
Message 4 of 6

Great customer support job! Par for the course. Just buy a new ({insert.bsname.name{}).pretty(). 

Kris237
802.11n
Views: 220
Message 5 of 6

Okay folks, I marked that duct tape session as the solution as I am no longer dropping g 's!!!  cheap fix.  And yes, you probably could easily get a used one or new one on ebay though with a used one you might be getting someone elses' problems, but hey!!! I LOVE that I can tear into this thing and fix things!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In retrospect I think that (g key)  problem was extant when I received the T530 and could be why someone didn't want it and traded it in.

I even got a new CMOS battery for this one when I first got it a year or 2 ago but I have yet to need it. Love this laptop!!!

@richk yeah thanks for the manual - I got that right away when I first received the T530! It is very good though they left out one screw under the left front to remove the top plastic to get at the cpu hsf but absolutely fabulous that they had the manual at all - used it many times. A big reason why I have and will keep returning to Lenovo for future laptops!

Thanks all! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 212
Message 6 of 6

@olak I think you owe @richk an apology. He is not a Lenovo employee, and was just offering info that might be helpful.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors