Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAT
Punch Card
Views: 11,670
Message 1 of 13

T540p - Intermittent power supply connector

Symptoms:

Laptop switches off unexpectedly; unexpected failure to charge battery; random changes in brightness. Messages appear such as: "This AC adapter may not provide enough power to your Lenovo computer. Please reconnect the proper AC adapter"; "Battery 2: There is an error"; Do you want to switch to 'Airplane in-seat power plan' (if this option is enabled in Power Manager).

This is why I think the power connector is to blame:

I opened Power Manager to the Battery tab and also ran BatteryInfoView by Nirsoft. With the power connector firmly plugged in at the back of the laptop and with "90W AC adapter is attached" showing in PM, moving the connector slightly from side to side often triggers one of the symptoms. The two apps then indicate that the AC adapter is no longer present and that charging has stopped. In some cases vibration due to typing or moving the laptop is enough to trigger a symptom.

Supporting evidence:

After I taped the power adapter's output cable to the laptop so the plug cannot easily move in its receptacle I found the symptoms stopped (see photo).

Summary:

This is a serious annoyance. It means I can't rely on the battery being properly charged when I need it, or that the machine will stay running when I leave it unattended. Before contacting Lenovo I'd like to know if others are having the same problem.

131229-142022 small.JPG

T540p / 64-bit Win7 / 840 Pro SSD / Ultradock.
Enterprise
What's DOS?
Views: 11,571
Message 2 of 13

Betreff: T540p - Intermittent power supply connector

Exactly the same problem with my t540p. I have not contacted Lenovo or my dealer yet. I just wanted to let you know, that you're not alone with this problem.

DAT
Punch Card
Views: 11,496
Message 3 of 13

Betreff: T540p - Intermittent power supply connector

@Enterprise

Thanks for responding - and it might be a good idea not to waste any time reporting your issue with the machine. 

I reported mine online today and someone from  IBM UK phoned and tried to tell me that it might not be covered by the three-year on-site warranty and that I should have reported it within seven days as a 'dead on arrival' case. 

Ironically, I might even have done so if I'd not been working on the even more pressing problem of why it kept on crashing when going to and from Sleep or Hibernation (see my other posts). 

oghalldorsson
What's DOS?
Views: 11,469
Message 4 of 13

Re: T540p - Intermittent power supply connector

I also have the same problem. I brought my t540p to my Lenovo dealer today, the sales people didn't even try to argue cause the problem is quite obvious. It's going to be fixed in the new year.
Logiman
What's DOS?
Views: 11,388
Message 5 of 13

Same thing here unfortunately.    So, the sales people acknowledged the issue and mentioned a fix was coming?  If so, was it hardware related (i.e. faulty connector, etc.) or something in the Power Management Drivers?

DAT
Punch Card
Views: 11,256
Message 6 of 13

The  Lenovo repair guy was due to come today but has postponed until tomorrow. Still at least they finally agreed to accept it as a warranty issue. After I stopped the power connector moving with adhesive tape (see previous picture) a week ago I've had no recurrence of messages like "This is the wrong power supply", etc.. This pretty much proves that in my case the problem is bad contacts inside the power connector.

mottenhausen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,225
Message 7 of 13

Hi there,

maybe the same issues like:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/t540p-power-supply-problems/td-p/1358527

Best regards,

Marcus

DAT
Punch Card
Views: 11,214
Message 8 of 13

Re: T540p - Intermittent power supply connector - Solved

Hi Marcus,

That's my guess too. I posted on the other thread originally (12-29-2013) but then started this one because some of the other contributors seemed sure that their problem was not due to the power connector. However I think bad connections could account for some of the other findings. For example, manufacturing tolerances could be such that some combinations of plugs and sockets are ok and others are not.

Anyway good news for me because my problem is solved.The IBM technician arrived today and fitted a new power connector inside the machine and now the power supply is not intermittent anymore.The replacement part is labelled "50.4L005.011, FRU:04X5515".

Replacing the part involves some serious dismantling and mine was the first T540p the technician had seen. I was surprised that he didn't have a copy of the service manual, but I'd already downloaded a copy and it proved quite useful for locating some hidden fixings. Surprisingly we also found a spare screw floating about inside the machine, which could have led to problems in the future. 

Former Administrator
Views: 10,860
Message 9 of 13

DAT,

Thanks - from what I understand, we have several suppliers for the internal power socket on the system.  Based on testing, we found some minor variances in tolerance with some example connectors from one of the suppliers.

(Much as you suggest) 

We have updated manufacturing and service parts, so if a customer has this problem, I would recommend contacting service.   We should be able to swap out the connector.  There is nothing wrong with the external power supplies (AC adapter).  

I appreciate your updates on this thread.

Best regards,

Mark

Cavemen
What's DOS?
Views: 10,508
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for the very clear description for this problem: I had the same problem with a lenovo T540p in Australia. Pointing the Australian support team to this community forum saved a lot of time in fault resolution; Part no FRU:04X5515 has been installed and the problem is resolved

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors