Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre-w
Punch Card
Views: 76,544
Message 1 of 366

T540p/T440p+UltraDock+external display issues

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with the t540p in the UltraDock.

I have a setup with 3 displays:

- internal

- external on DVI

- external on DisplayPort
The external ones are connected to the UltraDock.

I've got the problem, that the external monitor on the DVI-Port blanks frequently (about every 15min) for 2-3 seconds.

Less frequently (about once every 1-2 hours) all external Monitors blank for about 5-10 seconds and you can hear in the speakers the Windows sound for disconnecting and reconnecting devices.

Another abnormality I discoverd is, that when I use the t540p without the Dockingstation (but a power supply connected) the screen dims down to "battery level" from time to time (also only for some seconds) and the Battery-Symbol changes from "mains operation" to "battery operation" while the brightness is dimmed.

This happens with both power supplies (the one shipped with the t540p and the one shipped with the UltraDock)

Maybe these effects could be related somehow?

Does any of you experience the same issues or has got any clue what could be the problem here?

Best Regards,

Andre

floo
Paper Tape
Views: 76,422
Message 2 of 366

Betreff: T540P+UltraDock+external display issues

Same problem, sill no idea how to fix it...

taybridge99
Punch Card
Views: 76,407
Message 3 of 366

Re: T540P+UltraDock+external display issues

Hi Andre,

I have the same problem with my T540p.  The problem is most likely due to a bug in the Intel display driver.  Have a read through some of the posts on Intels "Official Black Scree Thread" here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/39881  Here is the first post in the thread from Intel's Nic.

Hello Graphics Communities!

For a very long time now we've been trying to track down, diagnose, and correct an issue that seems to be happening all across the board with Intel® Graphics.  Users, for various reasons - seem to have issues with OEM systems (and Intel® NUC's) losing their display for different events.

• Installing new drivers
  • Rebooting
  • Computers idling, going into sleep or hibernation
  • Other random events

We have run into a stumbling block in fixing this issue, and that is that we are unable to reproduce the symptoms above.  We have ordered exact-matching systems, displays and cables - and matched our configurations to those of the users having problems, and we are completely unable to reproduce the problem.  The issue is complex, but in this particular case - it stems from the fact that two users with the same configuration are not guaranteed to have the problem, it varies from user to user, system to system, display to display.

What we at Intel® are asking now though is 2-fold.  If you are one of these users (or a business) experiencing a consistent black-screening issue as mentioned above, we would like to procure your COMPLETE system configuration.  This means, we want you to ship us (at our expense) - the System (desktop or laptop), display (TV, monitor) AND the cable (hdmi, dp, dvi, vga) used by your system when it starts to have a blackscreen failure.  If you are willing to do this, you should be aware that we will keep your system for an extended period, and will compensate you by replacing your setup.

This thread was started in April and Intel has not yet come up with a solution.  One user claims to have solved the problem by replacing the DVI cable with a new cable (see Nightmd post dated 17/9/2013).

I also have problems with connecting the Ultradock to an external monitor via VGA.  The display doesn't re-size properly to fit the Samsung 27" monitor resulting in the desktop icons disappearing off the edge of the screen.  This problem doesn't occur when the display is connected directly to the T540p.  I also have problems with a black screen when the computer resumes after hiberation.  I can sometimes solve this by switching the source to VGA and then back to DVI.

The other issue with the T540p is a failure to shut down completely.  When I shut down the icons are cleared but the desktop wallpaper and the cursor remains with the power light still on.  There is no alternative but to do a hard reset when this happens.

The only consolation is that we are not alone.  There are 100's of users with the same or similar problems.  I regret not ordering the T540p with a discrete Nvidia graphics card as these do not use the Intel drivers.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Itel comes up with a solution soon.

Regards,

Bob

andre-w
Punch Card
Views: 76,375
Message 4 of 366

floo:

can you confirm all of the problems (displays blanking periodically for short time and going into battery operation for some seconds while the power adapter is installed) or just one of these two?

taybridge99:

I have the configuration with the nvidia graphics card.

Your problem with black screen after hibernation sounds like something I also had with my setup (at the same time i couldn't change the internal brightnes-level for example):

my solution was not using the drivers supplied by the lenovo support page and using these instead:

for the intel-graphics part: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23405/a08/Win64_15338.exe

and for the nvidia part: http://de.download.nvidia.com/Windows/331.82/331.82-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

But i assume, that you just need the intel one as you said you'd regret not buying the nvidia option.

And I also think, that "my" problem with the blanking screen isn't related to the linked one on the intel-forum as my screen recovers after some seconds and doesn't stay blanked.

Regards,

Andre

nikg969
Punch Card
Views: 76,340
Message 5 of 366

Does this match your problem as well?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T540p-with-UltraDock-USB-Problems/td-p/1356...

I have the problem with the nvidia card as well, so it might not be intel related. My impression is, that the USB ports have something to do with it as well. Coupled with this problem,

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/t540p-power-supply-problems/td-p/1358527

I have the feeling, that the power supply is mainly at fault. I have asked for a 170w power supply to test, but have not received.

This is totaly unacceptable on the part of Lenovo.

Regards

Nik

x1 carbon 6th Gen, i7, 16 GB, WQHD/HDR, 1 TB SSD
andre-w
Punch Card
Views: 76,327
Message 6 of 366

Hi,

at first I have to say, that I don't have the Lenovo Power Manager installed - so I don't know if I would receive the plain-mode message, too.

regarding the first link:

My USB-Ports always work.

When you say "The screen goes blank":

Are you talking about the internal one and have no external ones attached at this time?

If yes I can't confirm that.

With only the internal screen working just the brightness level goes down and up again infrequently.

second link:

yes, that matches pretty good.

And I also can confirm, that the brightnes going down happens more frequently when changing the Profile from "balanced" to "high performance"

nikg969
Punch Card
Views: 76,323
Message 7 of 366

Brightness going up and down is a problem I experience as well.

Lenovo - are you listening????

Rgds

Nik

x1 carbon 6th Gen, i7, 16 GB, WQHD/HDR, 1 TB SSD
floo
Paper Tape
Views: 76,292
Message 8 of 366

I have 3 external monitors and all get black sometimes.

Often a message popped up, that there are problems with the USB device.

I updated yesterday my Intel graphical driver, but still have the same problem.

andre-w
Punch Card
Views: 76,280
Message 9 of 366

I called the lenovo support regarding this problem.

They claimed, that it would be caused by a drivers issue with Windows 8.1 and told me to "wait or go back to Win 7 or 8"

But I don't think this to be a drivers issue and I also don't want to reinstall windows yet again.

Could you all post your Operation System to verify, if this is really limited to 8.1 or if it does also happen on 7 or 8?

floo
Paper Tape
Views: 76,271
Message 10 of 366

i have win7

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors