Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmanford
Paper Tape
Views: 87
Message 1 of 2

T550 suddenly shuts off

Today I was typing in MS Word when my laptop suddenly went dead. No lights, no response to power button. I inserted a paper clip into the emergency reset hole and it came back on. I'm glad to have my T550 back but it is a little troubling to have no idea what happened and know that it could happen again at any time. Is there anything I can do to investigate the cause? There is nothing suspicious in the Windows system log, which is not surprising since this was likely a sudden hardware malfunction. Any ideas would be appreciated! I've been a Thinkpad user for a long time and have never seen one just stop working like that.

Edit: I have tpfancontrol running now. Hovering around a cool 50C, so it's not likely to have been heat-related.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 47
Message 2 of 2

Re: T550 suddenly shuts off

I have only seen that kind of shutoff under 3 conditions.  Overheating is the mosty likely, but unless you were doing some high-stress activity, that seems unlikely, given your current temperatures.  I have seen it with aftermarket batteries with failing electronics, also memory problems can cause any sort of error. If it were mine, I would first run an extended memory test first.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors