Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 333
Message 1 of 10

T570 An Unreliable Mess After Windows 10 May 2019 (1903) Update

I work in Managed IT and use a T570 with an i7-6700U and 16GB of RAM. Windows 10 decided to do the 1903 update a couple of days ago. Today, I had to roll back to 1809 because 1903 made my system an unreliable mess. Everything was notably slower (though this laptop is so poorly cooled that the CPU is constantly throttling anyway), the system was regularly hard freezing when trying to wake it from locked state or put it to sleep and every thing it froze and I rebooted it, Windows would redetect "Base System Device."

In addition, since the update, Lenovo Vantage kept telling me I had updates available for my Thunderbolt firmware and Intel Wi-Fi driver. The Thunderbolt firmware update was for the version I already had installed and constantly failed and so did the Wi-Fi driver. When I tried to manually download and install the update, it said the package was not compatible with my system.

All of the above issues have been resolved by rolling back to 1809.

I've been very displeased with how Lenovo quality control had slid overall lately but between the constant thermal issues with this laptop and now the 1903 update breaking so much, I have to ask what's going on here. We have a number of clients in the field with this model and if 1903 is going to start breaking them all, I need to know what Lenovo's going to be doing about it and when.

Anyone else had these issues and figured out a solution for them? Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 302
Message 2 of 10

Re: T570 An Unreliable Mess After Windows 10 May 2019 (1903) Update

Sorry for this trouble.  I checked my T570 running Win10 1903 and did not have either of the update related issues you mentioned.  Vantage offered the WiFi driver and the Thunderbolt firmware, and both of those packages were installed successfully for me. 

We can take a look what's going on with your particular system.  Can you please zip up the "C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ImController\SystemPluginData\LenovoSystemUpdatePlugin\logs" folder and attach it here?

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 291
Message 3 of 10

Hi there.

Thanks for your offer of help. I've attached the logs.

However, since I'm already running the latest Thunderbolt firmware from your site, I've just hidden that update. For now, since my wi-fi is still working, I'm just ignoring the other update, though I am curious as to why it's not installing.

So, while it seems like 1903 triggered the bad series of events here, that was likely not the problem. I reverted back to 1809 and the freezing issues persisted. I also had an issue where no USB devices plugged into the laptop would detect without rebooting it. However, I'm thinking these issues might have been related to my dock as they usually seemed to occur when the system was docked. I fully power cycled the dock and also did a pushpin reset on the laptop with the battery removed and at least so far, it seems to be more stable, though it is a randomly occurring problem. The thermal throttling is still happening frequently though it's appearing that might just be an issue with the thermal design of this unit as a whole.

I'll report on how things progress but if you do see anything interesting in those logs. Thanks again!

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 276
Message 4 of 10

Hi again.

So, I've discovered the cause of the freezing: The fingerprint reader. Since upgrading to 1903, about 50% of the time, when I try to use my fingerprint to unlock my machine, it will hard freeze. If I manually type my password, it never does. This behaviour started with the 1903 upgrade but continued even after I downloaded back to 1809.

I've removed my saved fingerprints from Windows Hello, uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of the driver from the T570's support page and re-added my fingerprints. I'll keep monitoring and see if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks.

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 268
Message 5 of 10

So I spoke too soon. The problem isn't explicitly tied to the fingerprint reader. The laptop frequently hard freezes when either being put to sleep or resumed from it, whether on the dock or on battery. I've also tried to reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults (though I hadn't adjusted them from that anyway) and this is still happening.

Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 236
Message 6 of 10

Hi Customer,

Sorry for the trouble, we received your logs, now are analyzing .Thanks.

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 224
Message 7 of 10

Much appreciated.

I might have found a software source of the problem, which I'm rather perplexed about because I'd been running this software for two months without an issue so I'm not sure what changed but I'm also testing this as well.

Thanks!

Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 198
Message 8 of 10

Hi Customer,

I analyzed the log, both wifi driver and thunberbolt firmware update utlility failed to install because of return code error:

wifi driver expected return code =0,11,3010,14, acutal return code= 105

thunberbolt FW expected return code=0, actual return code = -1

Because they acutally installed fail, so repeatedly show.

We have to contact driver owner for asking what those error return code means.

Meanwhile, I am trying to reproduce your issue.

I will keep you posted if any udpate.Thanks.

Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 148
Message 9 of 10

Hi Customer,

I tested on Win10 1903 with T570, but I can not reproduce your issue(WLAN driver faild to install ). So do you have multiple T570 systems have this same issue? or just one single system have this issue?Thanks.

PXAbstraction
Serial Port
Views: 134
Message 10 of 10

Hi again!

So, I decided to do an experiment. I imaged my current drive and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10. All the issues I was having (including the hard freezing) seem to have been resolved. I'm not sure what software element would have caused this type of failing (the OS install was less than a year old) but reloading the laptop seems to be the best option to resolve it and it doesn't appear to be hardware.

We have a client who also has this same model and I had them upgrade to 1903 to test and they seem to be fine so it seems isolated to my machine. I'll pick a day this week to fully reload it and that should sort it.

I'm still not thrilled with the thermal throttling this unit seems to do a lot (something which does seem to impact ann T570s) but the core issues I posted about here I think can be resolved with an OS reload.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors