Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juliekd
Paper Tape
Views: 3,209
Message 1 of 11

T570 BSOD CRITICAL PROCESS DIED / SSD Issue

Hello,

I recently experimented a series of Blue Screen of Death with various error messages, but the most usual is CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. As I was running out of time and the computer would not boot anymore after having booted a couple of times for no more reasons it stopped, I brang the PC to the tech who eventually backed up the computer and then made a fresh install of Windows.

However, the problem persists on the shape of several black and blue screens that are totally umpredictable. I'm having them every 20 minutes on average, and it takes several attempts to get back to the system. The technician told me it could be a defectuous SSD that prevents Windows from booting. Indeed I have the feeling that physically moving the computer worsens the problem.

This computer is just 1,5 years old and has still 600 days of guarantee left. Many people over there seem to have this exact issue. Where can I bring it in the UK or in Belgium for having this issue fixed quickly, and covered by the guarrantee? I need this machine for working and am forced to snooze clients for two weeks now because of the issues.

Thank you very much,

JKD

Mikhail94
802.11n
Views: 3,098
Message 2 of 11

Re: T570 BSOD CRITICAL PROCESS DIED / SSD Issue

Hi. I have similar problem: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Legion-Y520/Lenovo-Y520-BSOD-во-время-игры-в-PUBG-CRITICAL-PROCESS-DIED... (RU)

Please reply if you found a solution.

I noticed that we have something in common. You wrote "I have the feeling that physically moving the computer worsens the problem" and I also had a problem after moving the notebook:

"The history of the problem:
- After ... transferring the notebook to another place, Win10 stuck for a minute and the BSOD with Critical Process Died appeared for the first time."
JoanGomez
Punch Card
Views: 3,092
Message 3 of 11

the problem is that the pins are desoldering

If you look with a microscope and move them with a needle, you'll check

there are many T570 with this problem.. and one is mine

t570_problem.jpg

acirulis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,753
Message 4 of 11

Hello,

I have the same problem with brand new T570. Latest Windows  10+ drivers + firmware are installed. Diagnostics shows nothing,  When working on the table, everything is fine. When using laptop in driving car, it crashes after few minutes with same BSOD, no memory dump is created.

I have re-attached SSD/RAM on the motherboard, didn't help.

Anybody having the same issue has found a fix?

Zhusmansan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,678
Message 5 of 11

Seems to be the same thing on my machine. Solved by resoldering connector. Hope this will be a permanent solution. Crashes were pretty sporadical.

anelectricmind
Paper Tape
Views: 2,624
Message 6 of 11

Very interesting.

I also have a 1.5 years old T570.  Mine is out of warranty.  It started when the SSD was not detected at boot.  When rebooting a second time, the SSD would be detected and it would work normally.  Then it started happening more often.  I think I also received a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED once.

I tried three different SSD/HDD.  I even ordered a new SSD ribbon cable and it didn't fix the problem.

I will look at the pins later tonight and see if I am having the same problem.

I don't think I will resolder the pins, but I have a Lenovo Authorized Service Dealer near my place.  I will try to get an estimate and charge on my credit card's Extended Warranty Program.

Thanks for the info.

Zhusmansan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,597
Message 7 of 11

I didn't notice any obviously desoldered pins. But i had 1 pretty indicative test. a)System cannot detect ssd(I've also changed original ssd -- dodn't help) b)I put little pressure on the connector with my finger -- system boots.
anelectricmind
Paper Tape
Views: 2,583
Message 8 of 11

Yup.  That did the trick for me.

Applied a little pressure on the connector and it detected the ssd on boot.

Thanks.

anelectricmind
Paper Tape
Views: 2,555
Message 9 of 11

Small update :

I spoke with an Authorized Service Dealer for Lenovo near my home, and well... his reaction was priceless : "oh no, not one of those!" He is aware of the problem with the T570 and the botched soldering job.

His only solution would be a new motherboard or an entire replacement unit.  This unit is not under warranty.  He told me to call Lenovo, and firmly ask them for a replacement or a repair under warranty.

So I called Lenovo.

Well, their CSR apologized profusely, stood by Lenovo's 1 year warranty and offered me a 85$ inbound/outbound shipping + diagnostic package, which I am pretty sure would leave me without a laptop for a few weeks.  She also offered me to drop the laptop at a nearby Authorized Service Dealer (see above).

And I offered her a third solution which is Small Claims since in Quebec, Canada, there are Consumer Laws that requires a consumer good to have a reasonable lifespan.  They call this a legal warranty.  I think it's fair to say that a business laptop like a Thinkpad should be able to work properly for more than 18 months.  Still, she hid behind the warranty and apologized.

*RANT*

I have to say I am honestly dissapointed in Lenovo.  When I decided to go with Lenovo, I think I spent at least 4 hours deciding between a Dell Inspiron (Business line) and a T570.  Looking at all the specs.  Thinking that, well... it's a THINKPAD!  I really thought Lenovo would stood behind their product, especially the Thinkpad line.

(In comparison, a while ago, Grado (high quality headphones), sent me for free a replacement part for my headphone, while it was out of warranty for at least 3-4 years.  The part broke from daily use. They even covered the shipping cost, eventhough I was willing to pay for the part and the shipping)

Aw well...

Zhusmansan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,546
Message 10 of 11

Well I'm also dissapointed with my THINKPAD. Still I'm glad that even with my hands that grow somewhere from my ass i could get it working.

1)I have 3yr on site warranty and lenovo has promised me to replace broken parts. I wonder what would they say when they'll see my soldered motherboard.
2)Here some soldering tips for this connector.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Does-anyone-have-a-schematic-for-P51s/td...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors