Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flamel92
Punch Card
Views: 5,986
Message 1 of 9

[T570] - Boot sequence ...

Hi!

I'm looking for information & ressources about boot sequence topic. 

What I need to do is to boot from USB-3 key.

1 - I know to enter into BIOS setup after boot (by the way F1 key works only on my machine if hybernate mode is off. it waste my time to understand why I was not able to enter BIOS setup with my machine out of box)

2 - I can locate the startup tab 

3 - but I'm no sure about the PCI LAN highlighted "by default" 

USB CD should be my dvd burner

USB FDD should be floppy disk

NVMe0 --> ?

ATA HDD1 should be Hard drive disk 

ATA HDD0

USB HDD

PCI LAN

other CD

other HDD

Is there around documentation about meaning of all these items?

And also the way to define first device as USB key ?

thanks in advance

regards

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 5,941
Message 2 of 9

Re: [T570] - Boot sequence ...

Just press F12 during the boot sequence and select the USB drive.

Flamel92
Punch Card
Views: 5,923
Message 3 of 9

Thank you but It doesn't work on my configuration...

are all the startup keywords not documented ?

by the way, on my box, my internal disk is an SSD, normal boot is on it but on my current boot sequence in BIOS, PCI LAN is highlighted ... what does it mean ?

Regarding USB, I've got also an external HDD through USB3 port and the USB key (flash) in another USB3 port. How to know who is who in boot sequence ? What I want is to know what is the keyword to be sure to boot on the key... (it's an recovery media in case of emergency with troubles into SSD disk)

And finaly, I've got also an external thunderbolt device through thundetbolt-3 port... How to boot from it ?

thanks in advance for your advice

regards

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 5,908
Message 4 of 9

Thank you but It doesn't work on my configuration.

Then your laptop is broke if F1 works but not F12, or you don't have "Startup > Boot Device List F12 Option" enabled in BIOS, or you might try a BIOS update, or contact tech support.  I have a T470, but the T570 works the same way.  One thing I had to do is turn off "Fast Boot" in Windows (Not hibernate as you specified) to get the function keys to work. Because Fast Boot puts the computer into a state where it never fully turns off, when restarting, it bypasses pressing of the F1 and F12 key.  I use F12 every day to get into various drives (Windows on the main drive, Linux(s) on a second drive, Clonezilla on a USB stick, etc).

Are all the startup keywords not documented ?

Its in the User Manual, which is the first thing I read whenever I get a new piece of equipment.

Flamel92
Punch Card
Views: 5,890
Message 5 of 9

>>> Its in the User Manual, which is the first thing I read whenever I get a new piece of equipment.

Sorry but not in my T570 user guide! I double check this pdf again (errare humanum est) And yes I read the manual before to ask a forum...

My initial questions were in what documentation the meaning of the all terms were explained  and what was the method to differentiate between a USB external hard drive and a USB flash drive. Maybe there is not?

My goal is to be sure to boot from a recovery USB key So I want to test it...

regards

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 5,883
Message 6 of 9

I just checked the T570 User Manual and Maintenance Manual and an explanation of the F keys at bootup are there, although they are not in a pretty list if that is what you require.  That is where I found them when I had to get into the drive boot menu, or BIOS menu, or diagnostic programs.  Also, the settings you are talking about are not boot sequence settings, they are Network Wake-On-Lan settings, at least that is what my BIOS says on the T470.  Someone else will have to chime in if you need an explanation of the meaning of each of those options, as I have never used Wake-On-Lan.

Flamel92
Punch Card
Views: 5,853
Message 7 of 9

>> I just checked the T570 User Manual and Maintenance Manual and an explanation of the F keys at bootup

Humm I never asked about Fn keys .. I know only user manual, not maintenance manual.

I asked about the way to boot from USB fkash key in order to recovery a system... and how to be sure it's the right USB device in case of many...?

What is the difference between startup tab from F1 and boot sequence from F12 ?

Regards

pjc123
802.11n
Views: 5,851
Message 8 of 9

I can't make it any clearer.....Hit F12 during boot. The option in BIOS is for Wake on Lan, not boot order as far as I interpret it, but I may be wrong. Why do you keep on asking anyway? Try it, see what happens and report back.

dendrichor
What's DOS?
Views: 5,657
Message 9 of 9

I am a bit late to this discussion. I just went through this -- and found that I had to disable the fast start in Windows 10 in order to get the F12 key to work.

On "Define power buttons and turn on password protection" select "Change things that are currently unvailable" as the option to disable Fast Start is greyed out. Once that is unselected, the F12 key works as expected.

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > System Settings

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors