cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aliasnikhil
Blue Screen Again
Views: 245
Message 1 of 5

T570: Issue with HDD SATA cable/connector/controller? Boot with WWAN M.2 SSD?

Have a 1.5 year old T570 (out of warranty). Recently started getting the CRITICAL PROCESS DIED intermittently and would stop detecting HDD. After a while, it would eventually detect it and work fine. Now, it doesn't detect it at all. I realize this is similar to other posts here upon research but most of them being under warranty got their MB replaced for free (not an option for me).

I have a couple of observations/questions/solutions:

• I tried reseating the SATA cable both at the HDD and the MB - nothing. Tried pressing down on the connector and still nothing. HDD spins but not detected. Sometimes if I lightly jiggle the connector, HDD stops spinning. I read posts of the connector soldering being loose but how can I eliminate that as a cause? Or even the cable?
  • Tried a new SATA SSD and nothing. I thought maybe the HDD was dead.
  • Launched Ubuntu from USB and gparted does not detect the spinning HDD or the new SSD.

So here is where I need help:

• Is it possible for HDD to be spinning (i.e. gets power) but not exchange data?
  • How to eliminate a faulty MB connector as the cause? Or check if replacing cable will help (these are not available readily; ~30 day lead time). Possible for SATA controller to be damaged (if this is even possible)?
  • My WWAN slot is available.
    • Is it possible to have the main boot drive be in the WWAN slot?
    • Looks like for T570, the WWAN drive is a 2242 M.2 SSD (SATA). Will it work even if the MB SATA controller is damaged?

I really appreciate any help or insight here. Thanks for your time.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 221
Message 2 of 5

Re: T570: Issue with HDD SATA cable/connector/controller? Boot with WWAN M.2 SSD?

I think the SATA connector is possible/likely cause.  The WWAN slot will work even if the SATA drive won't.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
aliasnikhil
Blue Screen Again
Views: 210
Message 3 of 5

Re: T570: Issue with HDD SATA cable/connector/controller? Boot with WWAN M.2 SSD?

@richk I think the SATA connector is possible/likely cause.

That's what I was afraid of. From what I have read here, it is not damaged but needs resoldering. Will the service providers do it? Do-able by hand? I kinda want to keep using the 2.5" SATA SSDs to avoid uncertainty with the WWAN SSDs

@richk 
The WWAN slot will work even if the SATA drive won't.

I think the T570 PSREF says an M.2 2242 SSD (SATA) should work in the WWAN slot. This confuses me though for several reasons.

For one, the BIOS order lists NVMe0 as one of the options - I assume it is referring to the WWAN slot. But from what I understand, the NVMe works over PCIe and not SATA. Can you please confirm the M.2 2242 SSD SATA (and not PCIe) is the correct one for this? I have seen several people get burnt by mixing up these two. 

Also, the WWAN slot has a single notch but the M.2 2242 SATA SSDs I see online have 2 notches. This is OK? 

I was thinking of getting this Transcend SSD

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 201
Message 4 of 5

I have not tried it, but the platform spec says it must be SATA.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T570/ThinkPad_T570_Platform_Specificati...

As far as 1 key vs 2 keys, the drives have 2 keys so that they can fit into a slot with wither an "M" key or a "B" key or both.  There are no leeds connected on the card where either key will interfere.  That drive should be fine.  I used a 512GB version for some time and it worked well.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 198
Message 5 of 5

@aliasnikhil,

did you read this thread?
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T570-BSOD-CRITICAL-PROCESS-DIED-SSD-Issu...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors