Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjw123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,017
Message 1 of 6

T570 hard disk not detected

Hello,

I've had my Thinkpad T570 for around a year. For the last few months I've had problems with the hard disk. The machine would occasionally fail to boot (stuck at the blue and grey boot menu), and this issue became more frequent over time. Interestingly, opening up the laptop and reseating the SATA to M2 cable (I think M2 is the right name but I'm not sure) would miracoulsly solve the issue and allow the machine to boot, but not any more. Now the machine won't pass the boot menu. I was convinced the problem was a faulty TACHI HDD cable, but replacing it with a new one hasn't made any difference.

The machine boots perfectly from the same hard disk when connected via a USB external hard disk dock, and SMART shows no disk errors. Could it be a problem with the motherboard? I have 600 days left on my warranty,  but I have moved abroad since buying the laptop so I'm not sure if it's still valid.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

mjw123

franzoir
What's DOS?
Views: 2,935
Message 2 of 6

Re: T570 hard disk not detected

I have the exact same problem you describe. Although I don't have a dock so I can't test if that would work for me. But as you describe, it boots straight to the blue/gray boot menu with only Windows Boot Manager and PCI LAN listed. Selecting Windows Boot Manager only refeshes the screen. 
After reinstalling my computer it "worked" for another 5-6 shut-downs and now i'm back at square one.

I suspect a problematic driver, since the problem reappeared right after Lenovo Vanage was installed and did some driver/firmware updates.

I tried to open up and reconnect the HDD cable which didn't help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,899
Message 3 of 6

I like to use CrystalDiskInfo (freeware) to determine drive health.

The problem could also be the motherboard (SATA controller)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mjw123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,872
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your comments. An engineer replaced the motherboard under warranty and now the machine is working perfectly again. The problem was solved extremely quickly (the engineer arrived and replaced the board the next day), so I'm very impressed with, and grateful for, Lenovo support.

AlminC
Paper Tape
Views: 2,596
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

I got simillar problem in december. I wander if you got any more specific explanation about the error and why the motherboard needed to be replaced?

Almin

Zhusmansan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 152
Message 6 of 6

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors