Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekos
Paper Tape
Views: 2,220
Message 1 of 5

T570 with Lenovo thunderbolt dock powering 2 4K Lenovo monitors

Hello,

My company recently purchased a dual 4k setup for a work station. The setup is the following:

2 ThinkVision P27 monitors
Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock
T570 (Type: 20HA)

I setup the monitors and docking station yesterday and was able to power the displays using a X1 Carbon 5th gen (i5 model type: 20HQ) thru USB-C without issue. I have a user testing out the desk now with a T570. I'm able to get one monitor to funtion at 4K and the other is running at 1080p. If you check display settings I'm unable to increase the resolution to 4K. I've updated all drivers on the T570 including the display driver and thunderbolt docking station driver this morning and the system still fails to power dual 4K. I brought back the X1 I used previously and it powers the screens normally. I checked the specs of the T570 and its identical to the X1 as far as processor is concerned and the model page claims the USB-C port on the T570 can power dual 4K. What else can I try?

ekos
Paper Tape
Views: 2,100
Message 2 of 5

Re: T570 with Lenovo thunderbolt dock powering 2 4K Lenovo monitors

Bump. I'm still seeing this issue. Again still only on the T570 laptop. Both X1 Carbon 5th Gen and X1 Carbon Yoga working fine.

chx
Token Ring
Views: 2,072
Message 3 of 5

The X1 series have a full TB3 implementation with PCIe x4 and two DisplayPort lanes fed into Thunderbolt, while the x70 series use a crippled Alpine Ridge LP with half the bandwidth (PCIe x2 , one DP). I am surprised the second monitor works at all, if it does that means there's an MST hub there which then makes sense, 4K @ 60 takes 76% of the available DP bandwidth, 1080p @ 60 takes 22% so that works but even 1920x1200 @ 60 wouldn't (that's 30%).

ekos
Paper Tape
Views: 2,053
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the response! If this is the case then Lenovo shouldn't be advertising that this device can power dual 4k screens. Below is the wonderful marketing material which is evidently wrong:

"Prepare to Be Thunderstruck

The T570 includes Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3—the technology that brings lightning-fast Thunderbolt to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gbps. Connect a cable from your USB-C port to a Thunderbolt 3-enabled device, and get four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other port type, while also supplying power. So you get Thunderbolt, USB-C, and DisplayPort. Plus, you can even output to two 4K displays with the Thunderbolt Dock."

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T570/p/22TP2TT5700

I knew this was a hardware limitation I just wanted confirmation.
chx
Token Ring
Views: 2,046
Message 5 of 5

You are preaching to the choir, I already raised the false advertising claim at https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/73h86p/is_the_t470_falsely_advertised_thunderbolt_wise/ and if you lawyer the text then "up to 40 Gbps" is just that, "up to". Also, 4K doesn't mean 4K @ 60... you certainly can connect 4K @ 30 Smiley Tongue But "four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other port type" is much harder to defend. But: Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors