Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maybeageek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 649
Message 1 of 3

T580 BIOS Update 1.22 breaks Thunderbolt

Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad T580 and a Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen2. It worked fine until now.

I updated the Dock Firmware, and everything worked. I updated the BIOS from 1.21 to 1.22, and Thunderbolt is not working anymore.

Were I work we have many Lenovo Laptops and Docks. I tried another Dock, but the thunderbolt software does not show a connected device.

I reflashed the 1.21 BIOS version, but thunderbolt stays broken. How could that happen?

I even set the Thunderbolt Security to "no Security" in BIOS, thinking it might have broke security, but no, does not work.

When I plug it into USB-C it works, of course. But this way I only have 10GBit/s for everything, not 40Gbit/s like with Thunderbolt. That means not all of my monitors do work and bandwidth is limited.

Any ideas how to remedy the situation?

Best,

maybeapreacher

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 620
Message 2 of 3

Re: T580 BIOS Update 1.22 breaks Thunderbolt

Sorry for this trouble.  I checked with our service team and we haven't heard this issue.  Can you please shutdown the T580 and use a paperclip to press the emergency reset button?  It's on the bottom of the laptop near the screw that is closest to the center.  Sometimes this can clear up random thunderbolt problems.

maybeageek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 573
Message 3 of 3

Re: T580 BIOS Update 1.22 breaks Thunderbolt

Hi,

this seems to have helped, I now have thunderbolt again and it works through reboots.

(I got it running one time before, but after a reboot, it was gone again. Now it seems to stay active.)

Thanks for the hint.

Best,

maybeageek

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors