Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteelDust
Paper Tape
Views: 142
Message 1 of 3

T580 Failure Weeks Out of Warranty - Power Supply & Thunderbolt

My T580 suddenly one day stopped reading my external USB-C hard drive, I tried updating the drivers and several other suggested repairs with none of them working. The power light on the drive would come on but the computer didn't read it, verified with a second drive and they both work on my other computers. Looking at the timeline, I realized that this happened while the computer was still within it's warranty period, but I was busy and just let the problem go.

Then two weeks later the computer just shut down on me and after letting it sit with the lid closed for a while, it was able to restart and I got a warning message at the BIOS screen that "The Power Adapter is of lower wattage than the one supplied with the machine" or something along those lines. Once booted up I was able to see that battery nuber one was fully depleted to 2% and the 2nd battery was at 99%, it then shut down on me again. I ordered a replacement power adapter to test and got the same message and the same symptoms, the computer would basically trickle charge at a rate slower than it consumed power, at this point I finally called customer service and started a repair ticket, this is when they told me that the computer was three weeks out of warranty....I send it in and a week later recieve a repair estimate of $589 to replace the whole motherboard.

I called right back and complained that this computer was having problems before the warranty was up and was simply told it was out of warranty and the best they could do was knock off 25%....

I guess I'm very angry at this situation having been a customer for almost twenty years, and on top of that I had just bought a second Lenovo laptop for my wife only weeks prior. 

Do I have any other options for repair here? This is a fully loaded machine with the SSD and 4K screen, so I really want it back up and running, but feel like Lenovo's customer service is really screwing me in this case and I have no guarantee that the same thing won't happen a year from now.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 78
Message 2 of 3

Re: T580 Failure Weeks Out of Warranty - Power Supply & Thunderbolt

When did you buy it?  From a reseller or Lenovo?  Have you confirmed that the warranty anniversary date corresponds to the purchase date, rather than the manufacture date?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SteelDust
Paper Tape
Views: 51
Message 3 of 3

Re: T580 Failure Weeks Out of Warranty - Power Supply & Thunderbolt

It was purchased directly from Lenovo on July 24th, 2018 - it began failing in the last week of July 2019.

I attempted firmware and driver fixes, a new power supply, etc, and then by the time I called in it was August 21st.

I don't know about purchase date vs. manufacture date - July 24th is what they told me on the phone, I didn't look into the date I paid for it or what actual day I recieved it on. 

On top of this, they refused to give me back the broken motherboard. I paid full retail for the replacement, not a refurbished one and yet they get to keep my old one? That's basically theft, here in CA if you have your car or pretty much anything else repaired, it's state law that the company needs to return your old parts if you request it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors