Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raidei
Paper Tape
Views: 1,297
Message 1 of 3

T580 Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Wont Detect Second External Monitor

Ok.. I'll try to keep this breif. I bought this laptop SPECIFICALLY for the capability to run 2 external monitors via Thunderbolt 3. I have spent thousands of dollars on the laptop, monitors, and cables and put hours of research into making sure everything was compatible and it won't work. 

My setup is as follows: 

Thinkpad T580 with TB3 port

TB3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter(x2)

Monitors are both 32" Samsung 1080P monitors at 60hz (NOT 4k)

Here's what I have done:

Updated display drivers directly from Intel(newer than Lenovo provides)

Updated BIOS

Updated Firmware

Bought MULTIPLE adapters thinking it was possible an adapter problem.

Bought MULTIPLE cables thinking it could be a cable problem

I called Lenovo tech support and, after 10 minutes of convincing the tech that my laptop even has a TB3 port he obviously was unable to resolve it so I was mailed a new motherboard and a tech came to my house and swapped the board out. Same issue. 

The laptop detects only ONE monitor at a time. If I plug them both in to the displayport adapter, one of them will work, the other will say it's not connected. If I unplug the monitor that is on, the previously undetected monitor will immediately be detected and turn on. 

If I plug the undetected monitor into the HDMI slot it will detect and output. But this is NOT the functionality that I have spent thousands of dollars for.  

I am out of ideas and now quite sure that, even though the marketing material for this laptop says that TB3 will support 2 displays, it does not. 

mame3
Punch Card
Views: 1,224
Message 2 of 3

Re: T580 Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Wont Detect Second External Monitor

Hi,

I'm attaching x2 external monitors on "ThinkPad Thunderbolt Dock" thru full DP ports and worked well.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thu...

I uses slightly old monitors, HP(1080p) and Lenovo(1080p), and Display Port version in these monitors may be both 1.1.

Thanks.

ydavis770
Paper Tape
Views: 945
Message 3 of 3

Re: T580 Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Wont Detect Second External Monitor

Have you resolved this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem...

Thank you!

@Raidei wrote:

Ok.. I'll try to keep this breif. I bought this laptop SPECIFICALLY for the capability to run 2 external monitors via Thunderbolt 3. I have spent thousands of dollars on the laptop, monitors, and cables and put hours of research into making sure everything was compatible and it won't work. 

My setup is as follows: 

Thinkpad T580 with TB3 port

TB3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter(x2)

Monitors are both 32" Samsung 1080P monitors at 60hz (NOT 4k)

Here's what I have done:

Updated display drivers directly from Intel(newer than Lenovo provides)

Updated BIOS

Updated Firmware

Bought MULTIPLE adapters thinking it was possible an adapter problem.

Bought MULTIPLE cables thinking it could be a cable problem

I called Lenovo tech support and, after 10 minutes of convincing the tech that my laptop even has a TB3 port he obviously was unable to resolve it so I was mailed a new motherboard and a tech came to my house and swapped the board out. Same issue. 

The laptop detects only ONE monitor at a time. If I plug them both in to the displayport adapter, one of them will work, the other will say it's not connected. If I unplug the monitor that is on, the previously undetected monitor will immediately be detected and turn on. 

If I plug the undetected monitor into the HDMI slot it will detect and output. But this is NOT the functionality that I have spent thousands of dollars for.  

I am out of ideas and now quite sure that, even though the marketing material for this laptop says that TB3 will support 2 displays, it does not. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors