Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,454
Message 1 of 11

T580 Won't detect a second external monitor

T580 (fresh from factory).  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 driver (12/27/2017 - 23.20.16.4905).  Intel Core i7 vPro 8th Gen.  Windows 10 64 bit (freshly updated).  Lenovo Vantage system update freshly updated.  (today's date: 4/28/2018)

LG display plugged into HDMI port on Thunderbolt adapter which is plugged into the USB-C port on left side.

HP display plugged into HDMI port on right side.

Either display is detected just fine if I unplug the other one; but when both are present, it only detects one of them.

This exact configuration was working fine on my T470, Intel Core i5, vPro, 7th Gen.

So, bigger and better (and more $$) is worse.

My bet would be on a driver issue.  (Windows won't let me install the Intel April 2018 driver - it says probably because the manufacturer did custom driver coding.)

JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,441
Message 2 of 11

Re: T580 Won't detect a second external monitor

UPDATE: Well, ok, it DOES appear to TRY to "detect" the display when I first plug it in.  But it has no properties (e.g., Resolution) and the #3 icon on the layout panel soon disappears and clicking the Detect button won't bring it back (unless I unplug my other monitor - then it detects fine and works fine).

Guru
Views: 22,412
Message 3 of 11

Hi JFKelly,

You may try the steps from this link to bypass Intel driver validation. Install the latest GPU driver from Intel to see if your issue could be fixed. 

You may also use Lenovo System Update to update BIOS and other drivers to keep your system up to date.

Peter

ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | ThinkPad L570 | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s ; Vibe K5 | K5 Plus ; M0620 Speaker Mod ; Windows 10 / Server 2016 ; Legion Y720 ; UltraSlim DVD Mod

JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,376
Message 4 of 11

Thank you, Peter.

I'm not sure the updated driver direct from Intel that you mentioned (and the helpful tip about manually installing it) solved the problem.  Here's what happened:

I manually downloaded the ZIP version of the driver folder from: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc...

(make sure this matches your CPU!)

A very similar behavior as before: one of my external monitors showed up on the Display Settings as fully recognized and the second external monitor showed up as a dinky little icon with the Scaling/Resolution/Orientation controls as grayed out (as before).  

This time, when I clicked on the dinky icon, it stayed around long enogh for me to notice the Multiple Displayes control (and it was not disabled) showing a default value of something like "Disconnect this Display".  I changed that to "Extend desktop to this display" and the dinky icon grew to proportional size and all the controls became enabled.  Now I'm off to the races!

Last time, using the old 2017 driver from Lenovo, when I clicked the dinky icon for the 2nd external monitor, it just went away.  So, MAYBE the updated 4/21/2018 driver from Intel DID solve the problem.  

My suggestion to others: If you see a dinky 3rd display (i.e., second external monitor) with grayed out Scaling/Resolution/Orientation contols when you click on it, try to quickly scroll down and see if you can set the Multiple Displays control to "Extend desktop to this diplay" before the whole thing disappears.  If that doesn't work, try Peter's suggestion about downloading the latest graphics driver from Intel and installing it manually and then try the same thing.  (Be sure to follow the tips to bypass the "already have the latest" blocking message.)

Len
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,301
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for posting your solution for this. Are your external monitors 4k?
Thanks.
JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,171
Message 6 of 11

No.  One is an older LG "Flatron" L226WTQ-BFS.AUS0QP operating via it's DVI jack and an adapter cable.  The other is an HP 22cwa (not 4K either).

Here's the thing.  It's not working again.  When I plug in one, it works fine.  When I plug in the second one, that second one I plug in won't be discoverable.  If, with both plugged in, I unplug either of them, the OTHER is suddenly recognizable.

It's like the driver is refusing to recognize both displays at one time.  

This is only on my new T580.  My T470 recognizes both displays, every time.

On my T580, one display is plugged in via the built-in HDMI.  The other is plugged into a hub plugged into the USB-C port (and I have tried TWO USB-C hubs - both work fine on T470).  I've tried switching the displays around in both ports and still the same problem.

BTW: Lenovo recently automatically downgraded my manually installed 4/25/2018 24.20.100.6025 to the 2/28/2018 23.20.16.4973.  When I saw this problem happening I also tried the newer driver again.  No Luck.  I also tried the Windows generic driver, but that was a bust (wouldn't recognize ANY external monitors).  Then I tried letting Windows find the best driver online automatically and it loaded the 3/27/2018 23.20.16.5018 - no luck there either - same problem of only recognizing one external display at a time.

SO - my solution may work for some (and congrats), but it's no longer working for me.  Very frustrated.

JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,169
Message 7 of 11

Oh, brother.  After reading this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/How-many-DisplayPorts-are-available-on-t...

I got the idea that maybe the 2 USB-C ports aren't exactly the same under the covers on my T580.  

So I plugged in my USB-C hub into the second one from the back and everything is working again (with the 3/27/2018 23.20.16.5018 driver that windows found for me automatically, haven't tried any of the other drivers).

Why would they have one "good" USB-C port and one less-than-adequate one?  Baffled (but no longer frustrated).

adieux7
What's DOS?
Views: 16,393
Message 8 of 11

Thank you so much for this simple fix! I got the same problem and it was frustrating. Now I have solved it with your solution. 

chas10
Paper Tape
Views: 16,364
Message 9 of 11

My T580 doesn't recognize any external monitors. Tried updating video drives - no joy. Same monitor and cables works fine fron my t510. Any suggestions, things to try?
Djinn100
Paper Tape
Views: 5,043
Message 10 of 11

I have aLenovo  ideapad. A message came up as I was shutting down a while ago. It said update?. I think it said windows. I chose yes and everything went wrong. I had to reinstall all my programs micorsoft office etc.

After many hours the only thing which doesn't work properly is my second screen. If I connect VGA to USB the second screen (AOC 2270S) works but the definition is very coarse. There is no screen detected with VGA to HDMI. I have bought new cables a new monitor but the problem persists.

I am running windows 1803. Microsoft say there is a compatability issue and suggest resetting windows which i know will be a miserable experience. 

Any suggestions?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors