cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fanfold Paper
Views: 891
Message 1 of 4

T580 and Pro Dock (40AH0135US)

First... long time T series user going back to the initial ones. Had been using a T520 up until I finally gave in and purchased a T580 over the BF in July sale. Since I have been using a dock for a long time and like the convenience factor I got the Pro Dock (40AH0135US) to go along with the T580. Long story short... the first T580 arrives with a blown system board. I send it back and 11 days later another T580 arrives. This one boots and has no issues off the dock. It's fast and definitely an upgrade from the T520. First thing I notice in placing it on the dock is that the side mount process is tedious. Reading other posts seems to confirm that experience. It's nowhere near as well engineered as the bottom dock solution and I spend more time trying to insert the dock mechanism than I ever had with the legacy dock solutions. I eventually get things perfectly aligned and power on. Right off the neither external monitor is working. I have two Dell UHD monitors connected to the DP's on the dock and neither comes on. I mess with the cables and nothing, I take the T580 off and re-insert... nothing. I call Lenovo and without even trying to diagnose the issue they issue an RMA for the dock. I get another dock 2 days later and this one works for exactly 1 day. The external monitors work and then 10 hours later when I come home from my job and place the T580 on the dock they don't work. Nothing changes but somehow things are back to not working again. To be clear at no point from power on to full boot am I seeing any video on the external monitor(s).

I am reading all the posts about Thunderbolt and BIOS updates... I am on BIOS 1.14 and have patched everything for both the laptop and the dock. I have changed settings in the BIOS and also reset to the defaults multiple times. I am spending way too much time trying to fix something that should just work out of the box. Any suggestions appreciated.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 2 of 4

Re: T580 and Pro Dock (40AH0135US)

admin, if this belongs in the dock forum please feel free to move it so I can get some feedback

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 833
Message 3 of 4

Hi 149113!

You don't mention which monitor you have. According to the Dock Display Configuration page it can support two 4096*2160@30Hz displays. The fact that it was working, then suddenly wasn't, suggests either something failed, or there is some marginal component. Have you tried different cables?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Fanfold Paper
Views: 820
Message 4 of 4

I have tried it with the following monitors: Dell U3011 & Dell P2715Q. The U3011 isn't even HD, it's 2560x1600. I have also switched cables - twice. If I reconnect the T520 and the Mini Dock Plus Series 3 Docking Station (Type 4338) to the same two monitors everything comes up as expected.

I am thinking this is some sort of thunderbolt and machine firmware anomaly. Reading through the posts it seems that there are issues with this and it's fairly common. The question is how to fix it?

Also... everything else on the dock (aside from the DP's) works... all the USB devices + sound function as expected

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors