Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itops
Blue Screen Again
Views: 226
Message 1 of 3

T580 and X1 Carbon USB-C/Thunderbolt Power/Connectivity issues

Hi there, 

I've been experiencing issues with both Thinkpad T580's and 5th/6th Gen X1 Carbons. Basically any model that has USB-C/Thunberbolt connectivity. 

I have had users report that their laptops either connected to their docking station or power adaptor  do not charge. 

Windows reports "Plugged in, Not charging", and power drops. 

The dock does not appear to work, external screens, network etc. 

When disconnected from the power source or dock, the orange power light on the left site where the USB-C connector is stays on. This is the light that comes on when charging. 

When the laptop is shut down, the same orange light stays on. 

The work around I've found is to go into the BIOS, Power settings, Disconnect the internal battery. (External battery needs to be removed for the T series). 

After selecting this, the laptop powers off and the orange charging light goes out. Once reconnected to a power source, the laptop will power on, work with the dock and properly charge. 

I have encountered this on multiple T580's and multiple X1 Carbons. I've attempted to run the System Update utility (excellent app btw) and made sure BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware etc is up to date, yet the issue still persists. Logging into the BIOS and disconnecting the internal battery is not a viable solution. 

Is there a solution for this, and are Lenovo aware of this issue? 

Thanks,

Adam

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 162
Message 2 of 3

Re: T580 and X1 Carbon USB-C/Thunderbolt Power/Connectivity issues

Hi Adam,

I would suggest a good place to start would be with the critiacl tip which was released last month. Please ensure that you have both the driver packages and firmware packages installed (in that order) for your different systems.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/solutions/ht508988

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

itops
Blue Screen Again
Views: 148
Message 3 of 3

Re: T580 and X1 Carbon USB-C/Thunderbolt Power/Connectivity issues

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for that, looks promising. I'll give that a go! 

Thanks,

Adam

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors