05-10-2018

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 1 of 5

T590 and WinPE drivers for MDT

2020-02-06, 14:47 PM

I know this is a similar post to this one but that one is marked as resolved and I'm not so sure it is. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/WinPE-driver-pack-for-T590/m-p/4520454#M137087

I'm having a similar issue. T590 pxe boots just fine, the MDT splash screen comes up but it fails to start loading the boot.ini settings and just sits there for about 20 seconds before rebooting. I am not able to hit F8 and bring up the cmd prompt. 

I was getting similar results on the x1 carbon 7th gen until I got the WinPE drivers from here: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht074984

However, there are no WinPE drivers listed there for the T590.... I have downloaded the driver pack and added all of them into the winpe boot image just for testing purposes but it doesn't change the behavior.

I've also read that this can be fixed by disabling the "Kernel DMA Protection" in the BIOS, however this did not change the behavior for me either. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6930c036-e827-4579-bf38-64d6dd7113e7/mdt-wizard-does-not-appear-after-pxe-boot?forum=mdt

Is there a reason that the T590 winpe drivers aren't available for download? It seems like a winpe driver issue to me but perhaps it isn't. Been struggling with this for the past few days so any help is appreciated.

FYI - I am not using a docking station. Pxe booting with the ethernet cable directly plugged into the laptop.

Solved! See the solution
Options

1307 Posts

03-03-2016

US

3620 Signins

42994 Page Views

• Views: 42994
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T590 and WinPE drivers for MDT

2020-02-06, 18:09 PM

When I navigated to this link, I had to remove the Windows 10 64 bit filter and was able to see the WinPE driver pack for the T590.

What ADK and WinPE Addon are you using? 1809, 1903?  How many drivers are in your boot image?  I see where quite a few people add a bunch of drivers to the boot image whether they need them or not.  As of right now on I am using ADK 1903 and the WinPE Addon and am running 5 storage drivers and 3 NIC drivers and have had no issues.  I generally suggest with drivers in WinPE is do not add them until you need them.  If WinPE can't see a drive, find the appropriate storage driver.  If WinPE can't get an IP, add the appropriate NIC driver.  WinPE can have driver confusion when attempting to load the correct driver files and there are multiple possibilities.

To get to the command prompt, have you tried FN+F8. 

This should prevent the device from rebooting.  Look and see if a disk drive is detected using diskpart, check for network connectivity using IPCONFIG, and finally if you can see the drive, see if there is a MININT folder in the root of the main disk drive.  If MININT is present you can delete it and attempt to deploy your image again.  If you dont care about any data on the computer, you can use diskpart to clean the partitions off the disk and try again.

TLawson

Options

3 Posts

05-10-2018

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-02-06, 20:05 PM

@tlawson

Thank you for your quick reply! 

I actually just updated the ADK to 1903 using the WinPE addon yesterday to see if that made a difference and it didn't. 

I agree with you limiting drivers in WinPE, I just added them all on a test deployment share just to see if I could get it to work. On my production deployment share I do my best to limit the WinPE drivers to only what is needed.

So, due to the fact I got it to work with the X1 I was starting to get really frusturated with this T590 when I decided to just try a different laptop. I went to inventory and pulled a brand new T590 out of the box - BINGO! It just worked!! Perplexed I tried the other one again but it still didn't work... I even reset the BIOS back to factory settings knowing that I had messed with it trying to get it to work but it still won't connect to the deployment share and load the bootstrap.ini file.

FN! Of course! So I hadn't tried that before and sure enough that did bring up the cmd prompt for me. I confirmed it is getting an IP address and diskpart does see the disk.

I'm wondering if I just have a bunk PC here? Should I just try and return this one instead of wasting time trying to figure this out? Any other ideas for me to try?

Options

1307 Posts

03-03-2016

US

3620 Signins

42994 Page Views

• Views: 42994
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-02-06, 23:15 PM

Assuming this is a new PC with no data.  When you boot to WinPE and get to the command prompt type in DISKPART.

At the DISKPART prompt type in LIS DIS and hit enter.

Type in SEL DIS 0 (where 0 is the disk drive number) and hit enter.

Then type CLE and hit enter.

Then type EXI and hit enter.

Then type in WPEUTIL REBOOT and boot the box back into WinPE (USB boot or PXE, whatever it is you use).

See if that clears up any MDT deployment issues.

TLawson

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

05-10-2018

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-02-07, 12:46 PM

That did the trick!

Okay, so I must have screwed up the disk some how? Its strange because I did re-install the stock image back onto it the other day as well, so its not like the disk wasn't usable... 

Either way - thank you!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save