Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lorelei739
Punch Card
Views: 1,009
Message 1 of 4

THINKPAD T400 - SO MANY ISSUES NEED FACTORY RESET

Hi all -I know I am talking about a very old machine but I am hoping there is someone out there that would be willing and able to provide helpful  advice - some background -  in my dire need I purchased a 'refurb' Lenovo Thinkpad T400 from who now turns out to be an unreputable seller - I was silly enough not to worry about recovery disks or even a 30 day warranty - now I am paying dearly for my negligence.  This machine has had issues from day one that I thought I could work my way thru reading forums, Lenovo site etc. but nothing has worked.  My first challenge was trying to just get the right-click on touchpad to produce context menu - I searched and searched and reluctantly loaded 3rd party softwares to no avail.  I gave up on that only to discovered that when I loaded any antimalware program my cursor would not open that program nor would it open any other program on the machine. So I uninstalled the antimalware. So I can't really run to see if I have a virus.  To make a long story short right now NONE of the function keys work nor the THINKVANTAGE.  When I reboot and attempt to go to safe mode, bios utility I get nothing except opening up windows where sometimes the cursor will open a program or not and the trying to open programs from the start menu or the task bar is hit or miss same happens in the start menu and trying to open a browser.  I am running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and would like to go back to factory settings, but again I can't get to the RnR and I have no discs for recovery and can't afford to purchase - anybody out there willing to bring an 'old' machine back to life for an 'old' user.  I can follow most directions and can get to command prompts (but it does not always go to an elevated prompt)...so there's my story and if I have posted in the wrong area I am terribly sorry and will move if I am directed to do so.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 986
Message 2 of 4

Re: THINKPAD T400 - SO MANY ISSUES NEED FACTORY RESET

I am assuming your machine was originally delivered with windows 7.  If not, post back here.

It is difficult to get a new windows 7 running even from recovery disks.  Microsoft has stopped supporting it and they have made it difficult to run windows update to get new drivers.  

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS, SO I CANNOT GUARANTEE IT, but everything I have read indicates that you can install windows 10 using the license on your machine, in the BIOS.

You can make a USB stick here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I would expect that during installation, you can do a custom install, delete all partitions and install into the free space.  Select win 10 Pro 64-bit.  When it asks for a key, indicate you don't have one.  I think it will activate automatically from your existing windows 7 license.

For background, read this:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Wendel
802.11n
Views: 941
Message 3 of 4

You say you have Windows 7 now. I would download Windows 7 from Microsoft. Then run the Install and where it asks to "Repair" choose yes. Hopefully the repair will work. I hope the existing Windows on the machine is "Activated". Otherwise you will need to buy a new version.
lorelei739
Punch Card
Views: 900
Message 4 of 4

Yes it is Windows 7 Professional  - by 'activated' what do you mean?  i.e. a product key that doesn't have 'OEM' in it? And yes, my product key has OEM in it.

I guess I'm kinda confused - i thought if I 'reinstalled' Rescue and Recovery (since my function keys don't work) Then I could use the RnR options for getting a 'factory install' of Windows 7...am I missing something?  And I have been reading about making sure the programs for ...Distributable C++ SP 1 is installed, etc. etc.

Am I totally lost or is my thinking okay?   

Thanks for assisting.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors