cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martin6115
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,938
Message 191 of 259

Re: TRIM firmware for the 128 GB Samsung SSD??

Hello,

I can report successful update of SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 from firmware VBM1EL1Q (no TRIM, only NTFS garbage collection) to VBM19C1Q (TRIM supported), using Blue_Frog's hot-plug method (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/TRIM-firmware-for-the-128-GB-Samsung-SSD/td...) with Thinkpad X301 laptop:

hdparm -I /dev/sda|grep -i trim
       *    Data Set Management indeterminate TRIM supported

Notes:

* "indeterminate" in string above was not really expected, however it seems TRIM is working correctly, write performance is reasonable. I  updated it just today, so it might be too early for conclusions.

* towolf's "hdparm --read-sector" test (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/TRIM-firmware-for-the-128-GB-Samsung-SSD/td...) did not really work, sectors used by deleted file still contain data (not zeros). This is probably because:

From http://www.redhat.com/archives/Linux-lvm/2011-April/msg00050.html:
> If TRIM is working, the sector is supposed to contain all zeros.
That is only if the SSD implements TRIM so that it zeroes the discarded
blocks. You can check if the device at least knows enough to report
cat /sys/block/sda/queue/discard_zeroes_data

In my case, discard_zeroes_data contains "0". Still, because following command succeeds (carefull, may destroy your data):

hdparm --trim-sector-ranges 40502170:1 --please-destroy-my-drive /dev/sda

I have a good reason to believe FW update worked and drive really supports TRIM now.

* Originally, I had SAMSUNG MMCQE28G8MUP-0VA firmware VAM08L1Q. Because I could not find any documented case of successful FW update, I did not risk it and talked to Lenovo support instead. They were very professional, after I explained that write performance went down from 75 to 30 MB/s, they exchanged SSD for a model noted above (whole process took 3 weeks). However, replaced SSD still did not support TRIM, even it supported garbage collection for NTFS under Windows 7, so under Windows 7 effect would be same (or better) as with TRIM. However, since I am running Linux, it did not help me much, so I went FW update way.

Cheers,

Martin

devanb
Paper Tape
Views: 15,793
Message 192 of 259

I may have bricked my drive.

I have been trying to flash my Samsung 128gb drive for my x301 for the past 2 days.  The first challenge was obtaining a bootable USB disk.  The HP utility worked but wouldn't accept my Dos 6.22 files.  Eventually I went real old school and used a USB floppy drive, booted MS-DOS 6.22, and then swapped the disk to the maindiag.exe files.

My procedure is:

1. Update BIOS to enable secure erase.

2. Shutdown, remove SSD

3. Boot MS-DOS 6.22

4. Insert drive

5. Run Maindiag

6. Drive is recognized, i.e. Model, Serial, and Firmware fields are populated.

7. Initialize Firmware.

8. Long wait for ".    .     .     .      .     .     .      .     .      ."

9. "Erase Fail" "Check System" "ATA command timed out"  Screen shot

Following Blue-Frog's advice on Page 15 of this thread.

10. Tried Updated MainFirmware with the same result.

I was able to reboot and never got the locked password screen

When I try to reimage the drive, Windows 7 wants me to repair the disk.  Clonezilla doesn't report any errors on the disk write, my rate in Clonezilla is a paltry 1.06 GB/min.

Drive Sticker

Help.

-Devan

devanb
Paper Tape
Views: 15,791
Message 193 of 259

Not bricked.

The windows system was asking for a repair disk because I didn't change the SATA bios setting back to AHCI.

I can boot up again (whew).

I ordered a microsata to sata adapter, should I try on my desktop or just abort this whole effort?

-Devan

Hypnos
Punch Card
Views: 15,057
Message 194 of 259

Blue_Frog,

Since my SSD performance has been deteriorating, I decided to (finally) upgrade the MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 in my X301 from the VBM1EL1Q Lenovo firmware to the VBM19C1Q Samsung-direct firmware.  This operation succeeded -- thank you!

Before the flashing bonnie++ was showing sequential output at ~50MiB/s, far below the >= 100MiB/s I had previously.  Unfortunately, there is no improvement on this benchmark after the firmware change and procedure below.  Sequential reads continue to be ~250MiB/s.  (File size: 8GB)

Any ideas?

Procedure on Linux

* I created a DOS boot disk from a USB flashdrive using cfdisk to partition the drive (mark the primary partition bootable, FAT16), ms-sys -s to write the MBR, mkdosfs -F16 to format the the first partition, and sys F: within DosEmu to load a DOS environment into the partition.  (N.B.: qemu is not a good test for whether or not your USB stick works, as it's much less finicky than an actual BIOS.)

* To get the firmware loading to work I had to plug in the SSD *after* I started the flashing software, otherwise the drive was being identified.  I did action 4 first, then 2 and 1.  I had to repeat this cycle of unplugging the disk, restarting the flashing software, then re-plugging the disk before actions 2 and 1.

* hdparm -I /dev/sda indicates TRIM is enabled, and a test using hdparm --fibmap and hdparm --read-sector shows that TRIM is working.

* I created a file with random data that filled the empty space in my drive (~40GB) and deleted it, using sync afterwards.  I then waited 30 minutes before running the bonnie++ benchmark. (Perhaps I should have just done an hdparm --trim-sector-ranges before restoring my disk ...)

Hypnos
Punch Card
Views: 15,036
Message 195 of 259

A different benchmark on Linux (run as root, somewhere with enough space):

# dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync,notrunc
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.7783 s, 60.4 MB/s
# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
# dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.97858 s, 216 MB/s
# dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.510984 s, 2.1 GB/s

I was hoping for the first number to be >= 100 MB/s.

Dagobert__
What's DOS?
Views: 14,790
Message 196 of 259

Hi Martin,
I had the same problem with the same sdd as yours and the x301. I just called lenevo support on Thursday morning. They told me to run their diagnostic tools. I didn't say anything about trim at that point. Running the tests returned a "hdd active protection test: failed". Of cause this wasn't the problem. I ran the benchmark provided by the diagnostic tools which told me 11mb/s. I booted windows and used the crystal mark benchmark test which returned only 5mb/s write performance.
Copying the results, telling them about the result of their benchmark utility and the failure resulted in an exchange of the drive into this version (of the topic). My hope to get a state of the art version was not fulfilled. Still, I hope after installing my system again I will not have any more problems.

I recommend you to call the support if you still have warranty, I hope you do.
Even I had the diagnostic failure, having a disk speed with THEIR benchmark tool that low is reason enough to exchange the drive. Just make screenshots /photos of the result and take the risk if thei tell you, that you might have to pay later. I don't think they will.

Cheers

Edit: oh, sorry, did not see you second post. I just got my drive. After reading to the last post, I hope it will support trim. Stay tuned...
Mittens
Paper Tape
Views: 14,486
Message 197 of 259

The Samsung SSD in my X301 has slowed down over the last months. I've done a benchmark a few days ago and tried to "refresh" the drive using the BIOS secure erase and linux' "dd if=/dev/zero..." command. After this "refresh" the performance hasn't increased significantly:

Before

After

What's your opinion on this drive, is a warranty replacement due?

Regards

Mittens
Paper Tape
Views: 14,384
Message 198 of 259

Bump

Update: Successfully flashed samsungs firmware.

aanseun
Paper Tape
Views: 14,328
Message 199 of 259

Reporting SUCCESS here using instructions from Lev.

Updated firmware on two Samsung MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 (from VBM1EL1Q to VBM19C1Q) using a HP 2530p EliteBook.

Here are my steps, they are very similar to Lev's:

1. Backup contents of SSD using Windows 7 Backup to an external USB HD
  2. Create Windows 7 Repair Disk
  3. Download firmware upgrade files from: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/444979-alienware-owners-samsung-pm800-ssd-trim-now-availab...
  4. With SSD plugged in to the notebook
  5. Power up and change SATA mode to "IDE"
  6. Insert USB boot key (with unzipped contents of downloaded firmware upgrade files from step 3)
  7. Run maindiag.exe
  8. Unplug ONLY the power cable and then replug it (since the power and SATA cable is one unit, only slide the power portion of the cable off)
  9. - Select 2 -> Unplug ONLY the power cable and then replug it
  10. - Select 1 -> Unplug ONLY the power cable and then replug it
  11. - Select 4 -> Quit
  12. - Power down the notebook
  13. - Boot with Windows 7 repair disk and restore backup on external USB HD to the SSD.

CrystalDiskInfo shows my SSD features: AAM, NCQ, TRIM

Windows Experience Index score for Primary Hard Disk went from "5.9" to "7.2".

Thanks Blue_Frog and Lev!

Hopefully this helps others...

Sam.

ahebert
What's DOS?
Views: 14,072
Message 200 of 259

I just followed the same procedure and was able to update the firmware on my drive from VBM1EL1Q to VBM19C1Q.  Overall, some of the disk intensive tasks that I regularly do seem to be performing better, however when I reran the Windows Experience Index, my Primary Hard Disk rating didn't change from it's 5.9 rating.  Are there any other benchmarks that others are using to validate if the drive is performing as it should be?  Does anyone have any suggestions as to things I may have done wrong or should check to see if I can get my WEI up to 7.9 like others have been experiencing?  CrystalDiskInfo shows that TRIM is enabled....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors