cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warp0
What's DOS?
Views: 2,450
Message 241 of 268

Re: TRIM firmware for the 128 GB Samsung SSD??

just giving my experience:

I have a X61, BIOS 2.21 (2009-10-09)
and a Samsung MMCQE28G8MUP-0VA 128GB

A) downloaded the fwss29.iso, README Rev 02 from 17 Jul 2013

tried to use an USB stick with unetbootin-windows-585.exe - didn't work

B) burnt using an usb optical drive even though the README says "The Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility bootable disc does not support USB Optical Disc Drive"

C) changed the SATA option in BIOS to "compatibility"

D) booted from usb-connected optical drive via F12 boot order

E) pressed 1, read the info, pressed 2, within seconds it was done
updated firmware to VAM0DL1Q, works like a breeze, no data loss

F) changed the SATA option back to AHCI

G) Crystal Disk tells me: neither NCP nor TRIM are enabled :-(
robertsig
What's DOS?
Views: 2,294
Message 242 of 268

OK, I am at wits end.  I have a Lenovo T410s with the 128GB Samsung drive and during the procedure to update the firmware, I somehow bricked it.  I get the dreaded "lock" icon now on my Lenovo.  I tried using a micro-sata adapter on a couple PC's in my house and I can't get either one to recognize the drive using all the procedures outlined in this thread.

Normally I like to fight until I get something working, but this one has beaten me.  If anyone is willing to do it for me, I will pay you!  I need this T410s up & running soon as I'm configuring it for my Dad.  I knew something was wrong when it went from blazing fast to slow as molasses during a few Windows updates, which prompted me to find this thread.

Can anyone help?

gg48gg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,866
Message 243 of 268

Hi All:

Thank you for the information in this thread.  I need some help as it seems my mmcqe28g8mup-0val1 SSD is no longer working.  I tried to secure erase it and restore it to re-gain some performance of the drive.

Here is what I did and tried:

1)  backed up my disk to external USB drive using clonezilla

2)  booted up to bios on thinkpad x301 and used the secure erase feature to wipe the ssd.  It asked me for a new HDD password and I gave it one.

3)  Booted from my external USB drive and restored the clonezilla image.  Unplugged USB drive

4)  Rebooted the x301 withoug any bios or changing boot selection and it booted up into windows and acted as it normally did before I did anything.   I thought I was successful at this point.

5) Performance was possibly slightly better, couldn't really tell.

6)  I shut down the machine, used some compressed air to clean it out, and wiped the x301 it down with a damp rag

7)  Tried to boot up again and now I get a long wait at the followed by:

ERROR

2100:  HDD0 (Hard disk drive) initialization error (3)

Press <ESC> to continue

8)  I hit escape and get"

Cannot boot from any device

Current boot order and device status

1:  USB FDD:                                                                  -> Device not found

2: ATAPI CD0:  Model MAT**bleep**ADVD-RAM UJ-844-(S -> No valid operating system

3: ATAPA CD1:                                                                -> Device not found

4: USB CD:                                                                      -> Device not found

5: ATA HDD0:                                                                   -> Device Error

6: PCI LAN:       Model IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1351              -> No valid operating system

7: USB HDD:                                                                     -> Device not found

8: ATA HDD1:                                                                    -> Device not found

Excluded from boot order:

ATA HDD2:

<To modify boot order>

Press F1 at Power-on.  Select Startup 

9:  I tried removing and re-seating the HDD and this did no change the behavior

10:  I cannot seem to access the BIOS menu using F1 key or thinkvantage button.  When I try that I get the ERROR 2100:  HDD0 error same as above.

Do I need a new SSD or can I save this somehow?  I don't understand because it seemed the restore worked fine and I even booted into windows and checkec my email, etc.  Next time I rebooted, drive was dead.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks.

gg48gg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,836
Message 244 of 268

Anyone?  Is my drive dead?  I'm having trouble beleiving it is dead since it booted after the secure wipe and clonezilla restore.  Then successive boot and dead?   Aren't these SSD's supposed to last a long time?

Also this 1.8" SSD form factor is such a PITA to find at a reasonable price, let alone anywhere at all.

I can't even find a way to test the drive outside of my X301 because the power connector on the drive is so obscure.

Is there a way to to revive this thing or what?

Also, are these two products a viable replacement option?

http://goo.gl/6gIkV3

http://goo.gl/hupxSE

icarni
Serial Port
Views: 1,833
Message 245 of 268

Dont think they are supposed to last long as they are consumer branded products (not professionals) and already reached EOL (end of life, discontinnued in 2009) .... so you better buy a new one (not a samsung anymore I guess.....)!!
underclocker
Token Ring
Views: 1,788
Message 246 of 268

This is a great thread and it's still helpful, if you happen across an older Samsung SSD without TRIM support.  I recently had the occasion when I was supplied with an HP-branded Samsung MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBH1.  The firmware (VBM1AH1Q) did not suport TRIM as shown by CrystalDiskInfo.

Following Blue_Frog's instructions, I was able to flash the firmware with VBM19C1Q, thus enabling TRIM.  And, yes the WEI is now up to 7.2.

I had two procedureal complications, 1) I had to use a T400s, as the T410s rebooted with a hot-swap, 2) I had to reboot between the "maindiag.exe select number 2, then number 1, then number 4" steps.  The drive was not seen after each hot-plug step without a manual reboot.

Thanks Blue_Frog!

foghorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,679
Message 247 of 268

I just ordered a new MMCRE28G8MXP-0VB Samsung SSD at a good price.

I was hoping TRIM was already a feature, but it appears that isn't the case.

I might try blue frog's instructions, but it seems to be quite a chore.

icarni
Serial Port
Views: 1,677
Message 248 of 268

Yes it is, like almost what is labeled Samsung!
foghorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,670
Message 249 of 268

Yeah, it looks like I might just avoid the Samsung SSD altogether and go for a TRIM enabled SSD. Hard to find, but might be worth it.

btw, does anyone know any other 1.8" SSDs with TRIM already enabled?

icarni
Serial Port
Views: 1,667
Message 250 of 268

I bought a Plextor which works fine and sells in Germany with a 5 yrs warranty! ... instead of samsung which was discontinnued EOL right after 3 months I purchased!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors