cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foghorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,573
Message 251 of 259

Re: TRIM firmware for the 128 GB Samsung SSD??

After a ton of searching, there aren't much options for 1.8" SSD let a lone w/ TRIM support.

What is sad is that there aren't even 1.8" HDDs that you can find that are relatively high capacity. (I haven't seen one with more than 160gb). And if there is, they are no long in production.

In the end, I might end up using an Ultrabay hard drive and throw in my spare 2.5" SSD and use it as my primary drive (with a few boot sequence modifications). Too bad too because I kind of like having a DVD RW in my arsenal.

Edit: I instead got my hands on a X18-M G2 which easily supports TRIM (or has easy firmware updates which provides it).

Tim_Banchi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,336
Message 252 of 259

I _ALMOST_ gave up, but I finally managed Smiley Happy

In case anybody encounters the same problems, some hints:

1) make sure that if the SSD is connected before bootup, you start MS Dos and run maindiag.exe, you see the three lines with model, serial and firmware. otherwhise your mainboard does not recognize your SSD and you cannot flash. change SATA port or computer.

1b) make sure your mainboard DOES NOT reboot when disconnecting the SSD while in maindiag.exe!!!! as stated someplace else this could ruin your SSD.

2) If you see the three lines and everything seems to work fine but the firmware is not updated, use an Intel board (or a different board if you already try on intel)!

I spend about 2 hours trying every possible way flashing the SSD with an AMD board of a HP compaq dc5750 (where I saw the three lines and I got sucess messages ), but after every reboot, the firmware stayed the same. I then tried on an Intel i5 Dell Optiplex 980 and it took me 5 minutes to flash ...

The difference between the AMD and Intel board was that with the Intel board I had to wait a couple of seconds after I pressed a key when it said "press any key to continue". So probably with the AMD Board nothing got flashed so maindiag didn't re-examine the SSD while with the Intel board the SSD was flashed so maindiag.exe had to re-examine the disk.

3) roughly I followed: http://www.ullright.org/ullWiki/show/lenovo-thinkpad-t400s-samsung-ssd-trim-enablement

but in fact I didn't start maindiag twice but I did 2,1,4 only once. these are the exact steps:

a) connect SSD with a microSATA adapter to desktop computer, boot to dos from USB, start maindiag.exe, you see the three lines

b) power cycle SSD (from the microSATA adapter disconnect only the power cable for 1 second and reconnect it again)

c) choose option 2, you get sucesss, return to main menu of maindiag.exe

d) power cycle SSD (see b))

e) choose option 1, you get sucess, return to main menu of maindiag.exe

f) power cycle SSD (see b))

g) choose option 4, you get sucess,

h) power cycle SSD (see b))

i) return to main menu of maindiag.exe

j) quit maindiag.exe

k) reboot and check firmware with maindiag.exe --> SUCCESS!!!!

While I tried every possible way for 2 hours I never bricked my SSD - I think as long as you make sure you can power-cycle your SSD while connected and the computer does not reboot, you are quite save.

Chris_hu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,997
Message 253 of 259

Hello,

Please help me... Smiley Sad

I bought recently a T400s with 128GB Samsung SSD with the original latest firmware: VBM1EL1Q

I tried to update the TRIM firmware as desribed here: http://www.ullright.org/ullWiki/show/lenovo-thinkpad-t400s-samsung-ssd-trim-enablement 

But unfortunately something went wrong: in the second part (zero pattern write) I got error messages: " A generic ATA error has occurred"

Now the BIOS cannot see the SSD at all.... Smiley Sad   (error 2100)

What can I do now?

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris_hu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,966
Message 254 of 259

Finally solved with several random tries! Smiley Happy

twqwctf
Punch Card
Views: 1,611
Message 255 of 259

Hi everyone

Have a Thinkpad T410s here. This laptop will reboot if you hotplug the SSD. But somehow managed to boot off of the USB, so that Maindiag would NOT recognize the SSD properly. Maindiag would come up like this:

MAINDIAG (SAMSUNG Electronics proprietary)
SSD_1.1.0_20090306
=================

Menu list:
  1. Download Main firmware
  2. Download Initialize firmware
  4. Clean All Nand with Zero Pattern
  Q: Quit

I managed to do this trick by slightly unseating the SSD. Normally if it was fully seated at boot it would show the Model name, Serial number and firmware version (right below the SSD_1.1.0 part)

so at this point, I thought -- maybe I should try to run #2. So I did. Stupid me I guess. And immediately (less than 1 second) it performed an operation and (if I recall) prompted me to restart.

At restart when SSD is seated, I get the Lock icon on upper left. Can't even boot to USB.

so then I try that same sneaky method to boot without SSD (ever so slightly) nudge the SSD back in (somehow) without causing a reboot. (it's tricky) and get Maindiag to come up again like above.

I can boot this way and have the SSD seated, BUT NOW if I run MainDiag and try to run any option I always get this:

@@@ Check ATA Interface @@@       then
@@@ Check System @@@              

so I think I am completely stuck. Advice? Is there a way I can unbrick this SSD? I did just order this item from ebay:
"NEW 1.8" Inch Micro SATA HDD SSD 3.3V to 2.5" Inch 22PIN SATA 5V Adapter"

twqwctf
Punch Card
Views: 1,571
Message 256 of 259

UPDATE: I know this thread is dead, but I will provide an update anyways.

I tried several desktop PCs after purchasing the mini SATA adapter. No success. Finally I tried an old Dell E1405 laptop. Success.

I happen to have 2 of these Samsung drives - one good and one only half-flashed via '1' option and shows Lock icon on boot on the Thinkpad.

I found out that if you try this procedure on a PC/laptop starting from a good Samsung SSD, and Maindiag does not report the model/serial/firmware, then this flashing/hotplug method is not going to work. That was my personal experience. I would always get the 'Check ATA / Check System' error messages. 

On the Dell E1405 however, Maindiag actually reported the model/serial/firmware on the good drive. It was the 1st computer I found to do this (other than the Thinkpad of course which would reboot on hotplug).

The Dell E1405 supports hotplugging. So I removed the good drive and plugged in the half-flashed drive. Pressed '1'. Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/r/2hwe1hh/9

My jaw dropped as it actually showed success. I then did option 4.

surcix
What's DOS?
Views: 165
Message 257 of 259

Just wated to let you guys know i just did this procedure on a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard, socket 478

The chipset is Intel 865.

Good luck to anyone still having this drive.

Gregbert
What's DOS?
Views: 129
Message 258 of 259

I tried this method, got MAINDIAG up and running and was able to selection option "2" as per the instructions. everything seemed to go well... untill i rebooted...

now I have a user HDD password (!?!?!) that i never ha dbefore, and of course I have no idea what it is.

has anyone come across this?

Gregbert
What's DOS?
Views: 116
Message 259 of 259

Ok - nevermind! had to hotplug it. was actually a good sign.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors