cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jPad
Punch Card
Views: 6,133
Message 51 of 268

Re: TRIM firmware for the 128 GB Samsung SSD??

Anyway, does anyone knows anyway to perform trim (even manually) to our Samsung SSD? Please don't suggest me the "secure erase from BIOS" method... this is just the most stupid method....

I will have to disagree with your statement that the secure erase method is stupid. I just use the "secure erase from BIOS" method to restore the performance of my 128GB Samsung SSD from a 5.9 WEI hard disk rating back to a 6.9 WEI hard disk rating. Are you aware that the even if an SSD firmware update is available it will also perform a secure erase before updating the firmware?

TRIM is way over-rated and most likely you won't notice any performance improvement with an trim firmware update.

On my Thinkpad T510 the trimless 128GB Samung SSD feels faster and boots faster than the trim-enabled 256GB Crucial RealSSD. If I had know about the "secure erase BIOS method" before I won't have wasted money upgrading to a trim-enabled SSD and then only to be dissapointed by the performance.

pleon
802.11n
Views: 6,119
Message 52 of 268

My Samsung SSD 128 GB is from 5.9 before Secure Erase on 7.1 after this operation.
----------------------------------------------------
Lenovo T440s, 20AQ0067MC, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI, Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T430s, 2356LQG, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 520 SSD 180 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T420s, 4171-6SG, Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 320 SSD 120 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T400s, 2808-CYG, Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 6,103
Message 53 of 268

@jPad wrote:

TRIM is way over-rated and most likely you won't notice any performance improvement with an trim firmware update.

On my Thinkpad T510 the trimless 128GB Samung SSD feels faster and boots faster than the trim-enabled 256GB Crucial RealSSD. If I had know about the "secure erase BIOS method" before I won't have wasted money upgrading to a trim-enabled SSD and then only to be dissapointed by the performance.

i have to agree with this.   having owned five lenovo-issued samsung SSDs (one 64GB SLC, two 64GB MLC, and two 128GB MLC), all have outperformed other systems in simple tasks like startup/shutdown, application launch, and file copy speeds.   the MLC drives were all the latest generation rated at 230/180 max sequential read/write.

if all someone does is run synthetic benchmarks all day and look for problems, they'll probably disappoint themselves.   but, if they actually use their systems and leave the benchmark apps alone, they won't notice a difference.   even with a "dirty" file table my drives never felt slow at all.   imaging the drive, secure erasing, and re-imaging brought back benchmark numbers but did nothing for felt speed.   it always seemed equally as fast.

synthetic benchmarks create more drama then they're worth. Smiley Wink

(edit: typo)

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

TinyRK
SCSI Port
Views: 6,089
Message 54 of 268

The question here is not, if TRIM is overrated or not.

It is a feature which is offered by the manufacturer of the SSD (Samsung), but Lenovo uses a custom FW which doesn't give the user a choice of using TRIM or not.

Isn't the customer usually right? Smiley Wink

The main issue here is, that Lenovo does not give an explanation  why there is no FW which supports TRIM, even though Samsung offers it for their drives. Other OEMs like DELL and hp offer TRIM-enables FWs, but lenovo does not.

Give a reasonable explanation  and people will understand.

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 6,077
Message 55 of 268

i don't know if an update is in the works or why it has not yet been offered.   i can say that historically lenovo tests drive firmware updates extensively and they have rarely been rushed to market.

in the meantime, agonizing over synthetic benchmarks probably isn't the most healthy thing to do. Smiley Tongue

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Larswa
Punch Card
Views: 6,065
Message 56 of 268

I agree ... benchmarking isn't the thing to look at the most, but I have to say that with two SSD's in my T410S, the samsung is feeling like going back to a 5400 rpm drive, after I have filled it up with data. I am now back to only using 70% of the drives capacity, but poor performance is still there.

For instance ... It actually takes almost twice as long to install Visual Studio 2010 and SQL server 2008R2 on that drive, than on another 7200 RPM diskdrive. I timed it. Both installs were reading from another internal drive. in the case of the samsung that drive were a speedy SSD. 

So fine with criticizing benchmarks. I'm with you there.  BUT ... this just plain sucks. It was snappy when I erased it and did a clean Windows 7 install. Almost as fast as my intel g2. Now its not ... 

Hypnos
Punch Card
Views: 6,032
Message 57 of 268

I think we can agree that the usefulness of TRIM depends on you use the disk.  The more blocks you dirty more often, the slower your hard disk will appear to be, because already-dirtied blocks have to be erased before new data can be committed to them.  If your hard disk use is light, then you'll run into this barrier much later.

The point is that this is the kind of detail should be taken care of on a Thinkpad, like the drainage holes if you spill your coffee, or standards compliance in the BIOS firmware so your software runs as expected.

My fear is that Lenovo doesn't realize this, and the Thinkpad line will fall into obscurity before they do.  The problem for people like me -- a Linux user who is on his Thinkpad over 10 hours every day, relying on it for nearly every important task -- there is not yet a good alternative.  And until there is, there is no pressure on Lenovo.

Patryk
Serial Port
Views: 5,996
Message 58 of 268

To all TRIM-I-DONT-CARE:

Why manufactures even pursue to implement TRIM when this is not connected with real-life performance degradation? Why bother then?

(it's rhetorical question) 

tanch8
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,918
Message 59 of 268

agree`~~~

we want trim

we want trim!!!

grimper
Paper Tape
Views: 5,837
Message 60 of 268

1. We want trim!

2. We want a statement by Lenovo if there will ever be a firmware upgrade with trim support or if we should quickly sell our ssds and purchase cheaper, new generation 3rd party ssds that have a much higher and acceptable performance including trim support!

My (pessimistic) bet is that Lenovo is soon going to offer new generation, premium priced ssds which should all include trim support (unless Lenovo explicitly removes the default trim support of the ssd manufacturers). Instead of offering a firmware update with trim support for the "old" ssds they will suggest customers to purchase the new ones  :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors