Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinSampson
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 1 of 5

The Not So Ultra Utrabook T460 With Intel HD 520 Graphics Adapter

My work laptop is a T460 Ultrabook Thinkpad. I have the compatible docking station. It's a pain in the backside just to get the silly thing to connect to another display while the lid is open ... but this thing WILL NOT do something that countless laptops have been able to do for over a decade: Connect to two monitors at the same time while on a docking station with the laptop lid closed -- ThinkPad Pro docking station in case it matters.. I'm successfully connecting to one monitor via the DiplayPort on the docking station. No matter what I try, I can't get another monitor to connect. 

Here's what I've already tried: 

1. Updated Chipset.

2. Updated Bios.

3. Updated Graphics Card Driver. 

4. I've connected the second monitor to the DVI port on the docking station. 

5. I've connected the second monitor to the laptop HDMI port. 

6. I've tried multiple cables.

7. Verified that the same setup works just fine on an older Lenovo laptop and older docking station. 

And my amazing not-so-ultra laptop still gives me no option to connect to another monitor. When I go into the Intel Control Panel, there is nothing there even suggesting that Multiple Diplays are possible. I'm just not believing that Lenovo built a high end laptop that can't connect to two monitors at the same time while on a compatible docking station with the laptop lid closed. There's got to be a solution for this. 

KevinSampson
Paper Tape
Views: 777
Message 2 of 5

Re: The Not So Ultra Utrabook T460 With Intel HD 520 Graphics Adapter

Okay there is a half-solution: Use the VGA port on the docking station. This is frankly a lousy solution. When this laptop is docked, the docking station's DVI port doesn't work. When docked, this laptop's HDMI port doesn't work. Not only does the VGA port provide terrible video resolution on newer larger monitors, many monitors no longer have a VGA port. So while this solves it for me, it's a terrible solution. Also, the problem should be well documented and a fix for it should have been released years ago. 

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 766
Message 3 of 5

@KevinSampson wrote:

ThinkPad Pro docking station in case it matters..

4. I've connected the second monitor to the DVI port on the docking station. 

the digital outputs on the Pro dock are exclusive. You can't use both digital connections at the same time.
quoting from the Pro docking station's  documentaion, which  you can find here

• 1x DisplayPort 1.2 (Exclusive use with DVI-D)
  • 1x DVI-D (Exclusive use with DisplayPort)

the Ultra docking station supports up to 3 monitors (2 dig. connected + 1 VGA )

check the setup posters for the Pro and Ultra docking station to see the difference.

5. I've connected the second monitor to the laptop HDMI port. 

Might be some kind of limitation with your T460 model.  Does it have a discrete GPU too or just the integrated HD 520?  What happens if you disconnect the monitor connected to the Pro dock? 

It might be possible that the digital pro dock output shares the same resources with the laptop's HDMI output.

KevinSampson
Paper Tape
Views: 759
Message 4 of 5

aUserHasNoName, thanks for the response.

If, per their documentation, the ThinkPad Pro Docking Station allows you to connect to three monitors, how the heck would this be accomplished? Best guess: They're counting the laptop's screen as one of the three monitors. That does work.

Yes, all this "Ultrabook" has is the integrated Intel HD 520 so I expect that's the limiting factor. There was probably an option for a fancier graphics card when the thing was purchased, but the company opted out.

Interestingly, when I disconnected the monitor that was plugged into the DisplayPort on the dock and then plugged a monitor into the DVI port (so the only monitor plugged in was the one connected to the DVI port), it didn't work. No monitor connecting to this docking station via DVI works apparently. This may be some nitpicky DVI version issue. Not really sure. Just seems like it should work and doesn't.

As for the HDMI output, I expect that you're right. It likely shares the same resources with the DVI and DisplayPort on the dock. Much of all of it is likely just limitations of integrated graphics cards.

Luckily, I do have a second monitor with a VGA port. Anyone trying to connect two monitors with no VGA ports won't be so lucky.

Thanks very much for your response!!
aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 752
Message 5 of 5

yes, on the Ultra dock  the VGA output is shared with laptop's display.
So you get 3 external monitors supported when lid is closed. 

AFAIK the DVI connection on Thinkpad docks are not really hot-pluggable.
I had to reboot my system (t460p / HD530 only)  to get DVI output working. Maybe a suspend/resume cycle helps too.

Check BIOS, there should be an option which port has preference for video output (  internal screen / dock / hdmi output). This might explain why you do not get any output with HDMI while laptop is docked.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors