Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,617
Message 11 of 19

Re: The manufacture date of T400 WXGA TFT LCD monitor

People are complaining about panels here. Well the fact that is LCD manufacturers have stopped producing many CCFL LCD in the 16:10 format of various sizes, many of the LCD are stockpiled by Lenovo to ensure that is continued supply for the thinkpads. If it is properly stored the LCD would not deteriorate in 15 to 20 years. This is also why people are still buying the IPS screen for many of the previous geneeration of thinkpads.

Once Lenovo runs out of stocks of the LCD, they would either replace them with LED backlight version or move on the 16:9 format, and if it is the latter reason Lenovo would want hold out for as long as possible. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Guru
Views: 1,612
Message 12 of 19

I would love to see the entire thinkpad line migrate over to 16:10 LED screens, even more so if I can get a 1650x1050 or 1920x1200 screen that would fit in my T500 with LED Smiley Wink  I would hate to see the Thinkpad flagships move over to 16:9.  I can understand the SL's since 16:9 are more inexpensive, but I think it is important for the buisness machines to maintain the taller aspect.  I belive Apple are taking this same approach with the Macbook Pro.  I think LCD manufactuers are going to have to accept that they cannot dictate what they manufacture, they have to manufacture what OEM's NEED.  I think all of the larger laptop companies need to work together to tell the suppliers that this is not going to happen. and we as end users have the obligation of letting the OEM's know that we are not interested in this.  Right now I've been waiting for almost a month for a Lenovo L222, sure I wouldn't want a TN screen optimally, but there are so few good 1900x1200 displays out there.  I hope it comes in soon.  Sorry this was a wandering post but I think my point is well made. 
I understand that Lenovo and OEM's feel they are at the mercy of the suppliers, but this simply is not the case..  Lenovo is the LCD manufactures customer, and if their supplier will not provide what Lenovo's customers want, then they should be looking for another supplier.  

@lead_org wrote:

People are complaining about panels here. Well the fact that is LCD manufacturers have stopped producing many CCFL LCD in the 16:10 format of various sizes, many of the LCD are stockpiled by Lenovo to ensure that is continued supply for the thinkpads. If it is properly stored the LCD would not deteriorate in 15 to 20 years. This is also why people are still buying the IPS screen for many of the previous geneeration of thinkpads.

Once Lenovo runs out of stocks of the LCD, they would either replace them with LED backlight version or move on the 16:9 format, and if it is the latter reason Lenovo would want hold out for as long as possible. 

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 10 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,605
Message 13 of 19

Regarding the LCD industry, the laptop manufacturers are constrained by input cost of parts, while the LCD manufacturers don't really care about the laptop industry (they are an oligopoly), they push up prices on parts that they feel no longer generates enough profits or if they want to move to different format. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
bosomfriend
Punch Card
Views: 1,603
Message 14 of 19

Well, it could be true. Lenovo would like to replace LCD with LED as soon as possible. If in that case,

I feel not happy with that because I have my laptop with vista home basic, which is not allowed to upgrade to windows 7. I admit that lenovo mentioned that in the windows 7 upgrading program. But when I customized my laptop, they didn't show it explicitly.

Only few days after I received my laptop, the windows 7 released. Then I found I'm excluded from upgrading program. I'm alien in the world. And lenovo asked for even less for the same laptop with windows 7 only few days later. I paid more, however, no way to be one of them!

I feel that lenovo want to sell all the vista home basic before nobody want it, because they still have some copies left (not exactly, but something similar), just like the LCDs.

icarni
Serial Port
Views: 1,562
Message 15 of 19

Lucky you !!! ... I wish I had an older one in my 2009 T500 built-in .......
bosomfriend
Punch Card
Views: 1,555
Message 16 of 19

@icarni wrote:
Lucky you !!! ... I wish I had an older one in my 2009 T500 built-in .......

Smiley Happy  Thank you.

Hope you're lucky, too. However, it also depends which brand of LCD you receive.

bosomfriend
Punch Card
Views: 1,542
Message 17 of 19

@lead_org wrote:

This is also why people are still buying the IPS screen for many of the previous geneeration of thinkpads.

I don't think why people buying IPS screen made in the past because the quality is not deteriorated, or even better than the latest ones.

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 1,510
Message 18 of 19

Was there much 16:9 WXGA 14" capacity in 2006?  My guess is the firmware data in the screen is wrong.

I have the WXGA+ on my T400, and I sure wish I had the older quality screen of my T61p: brighter, sharper, better contract, and wider view angleRobot wink.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
bosomfriend
Punch Card
Views: 1,499
Message 19 of 19

@TheDude wrote:

Was there much 16:9 WXGA 14" capacity in 2006?  My guess is the firmware data in the screen is wrong.

I have the WXGA+ on my T400, and I sure wish I had the older quality screen of my T61p: brighter, sharper, better contract, and wider view angleRobot wink.

Ya, I do wish to get one as good as the T61p's.Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors