Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maenpaa24
Fanfold Paper
Views: 905
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD OPAL support and sector size

Hello!

Does anyone know if the ThinkPad 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, whose part number is 4XB0N71413 and which can be found in the following link:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-TP-1TB-M-2-...

is TCG OPAL compliant and if it supports being formatted with 4kb sector size.

Thanks in advance.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 863
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD OPAL support and sector size

That drive is OPAL 2.0 compliant and exposes 512-byte logical sectors to the OS.  

maenpaa24
Fanfold Paper
Views: 853
Message 3 of 6

Mmm exposing 512b to the OS does not determine if it is compatible with the 4k sector size format. 

A way to check if it supports it or not is executing the following few commands in a live linux distribution. First, you have to install the required tools if you do not have them already installed. To do so, execute:

sudo apt-get install nvme-cli smartmontools

then just execute

sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

Substituting /dev/nvme0 with your ssd's physical address. But if you only have one disk that command should work. It should show something like this:

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt Data Metadt Rel_Perf
0 + 512 0 2
1 - 4096 0 1

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 842
Message 4 of 6

Here is some additional feedback I got from our SSD guy:

NVMe has a FORMAT command which allows you to choose the sector size, whether you want the Data Integrity metadata transferred, et. al.  4XB0N71413 is a Samsung PM961 1TB drive.  I issued an IDENTIFY command with CNS set to NAME SPACE.  Bytes 128-163 of the returned structure are the format descriptors.  This drive only has one descriptor, 512 bytes.  So, the short answer, is, no, it does not support the 4K sector size format.

maenpaa24
Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 5 of 6

I am asking for the non-samsung ssd drive whose part number is 4XB0N71413 and can be found in the Lenovo's US shop, whose link is:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-TP-1TB-M-2-...

Whereas the samsung ssd drive's part number is 4XB0N10301 while its link to the US shop is:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-ThinkPad-M-...

In short 4XB0N71413 is not a samsung's drive but a lenovo's one.

tdawg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 688
Message 6 of 6

this thread looks old.... but I think I remember reading that the 4XB0N71413 is in fact of Samsung engineering (sold by Lenovo)

sorry if I'm way off base. I'm still new here lol

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors