cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RChesley
Paper Tape
Views: 1,564
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration 3.89.0000 On Screen Display and Mute Button Fail

I am installing updates on a T400 system running WIndows 7 Pro 64-bit.

The system has been freshly factory restored and all features work properly...

After running System Restore to update to the latest drivers and recommended software, I find Thinkpad Hotkey Features Integration 3.89.0000 breaks features.

I am able to use Hotkeys to change brightness up/down, Fn+F5, Fn+F6, etc. The volume up and down keys work to change volume. The mute button does not work at all! There is no On Screen Display to show the adjustment settings for any Hotkeys.

I have found that installing the older 3.88.0000 (8jvu40ww.exe) version of ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration works successfully with mute button functionality as well as the On Screen Display features.

Comparing what is different between the 3.89.0000 and 3.88.0000 versions, I find On Screen Display version and Full Screen Magnifier have advanced. The version information table at the bottom of the software download page is inconsistent compared to what is actually reported from the 3.88.0000 setup.exe:

Setup shows:

On Screen Display 6.71.00

Full Screen Magnifier 2.40

The table shows:

On Screen Display 6.72.00

Full Screen Magnifier 2.41

The System Interface Driver is 1.05 on all the recent versions.

With the 3.89.0000 version installed, I cannot uninstall and go back to the older version to get it working. Instead, I have to do a System Restore to a point previous to the newest install... something changes in the new version but I am not yet sure what.

I have no warranty on this system. Lenovo technical support is unwilling to entertain a conversation about solving this issue with their software unless I purchase a support package. Perhaps someone from Lenovo reads this forum and/or one of the community members has a contact or option so that I may report the issue to those who are responsible for resolving Lenovo software issues. I am hopeful they can solve it in their next release so that I do not have to hide the current version from System Update.

If anyone has ideas on what causes the latest On Screen Display or Full Screen Magnifier to disable the mute button and prevent On Screen Display from working... I would love to try and solve that problem. Additionally, if you have ideas on what prevents uninstalling and going back to an older version, that would also be helpful as I would not like to rely on System Restore.

If there is no solution other than to avoid 3.89.0000 it is what I will do and this message will help others so they do not spend hours to confirm the issue is with the 3.89.0000 version rather than suspecting hardware issues.

trying to figure out the source of the trouble.

Thank goodness Lenovo offers previous versions in a table at the bottom of the pages so we can try older versions and go back to what works. It is a shame they do not advertise a link or other option to report bugs and issues with Lenovo software/drivers directly.

Bob-T410
Paper Tape
Views: 1,505
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration 3.89.0000 On Screen Display and Mute Button Fail

I have three T410 laptops. Two of them have intel graphics and one has an nvidia graphics chip. I have the exact same problem as RChesley with the two that have the Intel graphics. The latest Hotkey Features Integration driver 3.89 from system update has disabled my on screen display. Removing it with windows system restore brought it back. Uninstalling it and installing an earlier version would not work.

My T410 with the Nividia graphics chip does not have this problem. It has the 3.89 Hotkey Driver installed and the on screen display works fine. My two T410s with the Intel graphics do have the latest Intel graphics drivers offered by Lenovo System Update.

Lenovo System Update indicates that the 3.89 driver is required in order to install the latest power manager driver which enables the CPU turbo boost. I would like to have turbo boost working.

I just figured out how to correct the corruption of the Lenovo Toolbox from an incorrect driver that was pushed by Lenovo System Update, now I have this to deal with.

I would appreciate it if Lenovo would look into this and report back on this thread.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,484
Message 3 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration 3.89.0000 On Screen Display and Mute Button Fail

This is the roulette you play with updating functions that are already working properly.

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Do the release notes describe a fix or enhancement that you want? No? Then leave it alone. Hiding updates in Lenovo Update is the easiest solution.  For RChesley, in this case.

Bob, I realize that you want the function that the update is supposed to deliver, but the update has failed you.  It's like installing version 1.0.0 of software sometimes, with Lenovo Update.  You're never quite sure what you're going to get.  There's tons of posts here that read as though the users are beta testers--installing updates and finding the bugs!  So the developers can go back to the code and try again. 

I've learned to never be an early adopter here.

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,458
Message 4 of 7

@Skoop wrote:

This is the roulette you play with updating functions that are already working properly.

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Do the release notes describe a fix or enhancement that you want? No? Then leave it alone. Hiding updates in Lenovo Update is the easiest solution.  For RChesley, in this case.

Bob, I realize that you want the function that the update is supposed to deliver, but the update has failed you.  It's like installing version 1.0.0 of software sometimes, with Lenovo Update.  You're never quite sure what you're going to get.  There's tons of posts here that read as though the users are beta testers--installing updates and finding the bugs!  So the developers can go back to the code and try again. 

I've learned to never be an early adopter here.

You hit the nail on the head. Kudos for bravely speaking the truth.

I have set up dozens of T400 and T410 laptops for clients recently. After having found that bugs/ glitches/ stability issues are sometimes present in the very latest version of Hotkeys, I simply stick with a slightly older version of the software. And a version which is stable on T410 is sometimes not stable on T400 or T60 generation. (As a general rule, older versions of Hotkeys and Power Manager work better/ run more stably on older T60 versus newer T420, etc). Another issue is that sometimes the latest version of Hotkeys (and also Power Manager) will install and work wonderfully for a few days, then become corrupted. Then you find Power Manager keeps crashing Windows Explorer, or some of the on-screen display features of Hotkeys do not work.

So what to do? Well if you want to see if the latest version of Hotkeys will work stably, test it on a fresh install of Windows, and try it for a few days. Finish Windows updates and make sure Hotkeys/ Power manager/ Power management driver work in harmony with all other essential drivers and software. If anything seems buggy, wipe the drive, and just stick with an older version which works reliably. (Sometimes it's best to just completely wipe your drive and do a fresh installation of Windows. I don't like to use Windows system restore option too often, as you will begin to alter too many settings and configuration, and should then use some good registry cleaning software to keep everything running nicely. Even so, your Windows setup is becoming corrupted. Installing, then un-installing "buggy" software like this is one reason some people begin to find their once fast booting/ smooth running installation of Windows begins to slow down/ lock up/ or even start crashing. And software which does not function properly, or gives trouble during un-installation and re-installation can cause conflicts/ difficulty when trying to install other software packages or drivers in the future. 

So it may be best to stick with an older version of these kinds of software (i.e., Hotkeys, etc., which are updated frequently by Lenovo). Just watch and wait, and read the Lenovo Forum as others complain about bugs in the newest versions.  Allow Lenovo's software development team to fix the code. Then, update to the latest version.

Here we're just talking about Hotkeys, but can you imagine "buggy" new "BETA" versions of BIOS  updates? That's even worse. But that has happened also. Just read the SL510 forum sometimes. If Hotkeys is buggy, perhaps some of the on-screen display will not work, but a failed BIOS update can permanently "brick" your laptop! Anyway, we will save that discussion for another time.

The latest version of software always comes with a risk. Software should be perfectly written and extensively tested on the intended systems in actual, real-world situations before being deployed, but all too often, it isn't. (Deadlines/ pressure to get software distributed by a certain date, lack of proper communication between Lenovo and Microsoft, human error, focus on producing software for the latest T440 model causing neglect towards older T410 driver updates, etc.) It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately, that's the way it is. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Views: 1,420
Message 5 of 7

I appreciate the response Skoop. I just replaced all of my T42 laptops with T410 models. I did a factory refresh and then ran system update to update my drivers, just as I have always periodically done with the T42. The hotkey driver was listed as critical so I figured I had better install it. I never ran into these driver problems with the T42, but then those drivers were issued by IBM. If buggy drivers like this are common for Lenovo then I think I will be trying a differnt brand next time.

Bob-T410
Paper Tape
Views: 1,415
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the response Anastasios. I am actually in the process of doing exactly what you recommended. Fresh factory installs and trying to find what Lenovo drivers work. Once I do I will perform a final factory refresh and then install the Lenovo drivers that work. After that I think I will stay away from Lenovo System Update and just use windows update.

One question I do have for you since you have set up so many of these systems. After you do a factory refresh, do you run system update first to update the Lenovo drivers or run windows update first to update the widnows software? Lenovo "help" desk said that it didn't matter which one you did first.

NeverUpdate
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 7 of 7

The best solution - Never update Lenovo products. I have 3 different Lenovo machines. Anytime I have used either Windows or Lenovo updates, something would go haywire. That being said, either roll back to your previous driver version, or do a clean install of OS.

After some updates, your machine may permanently break. Know from personal experience.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors