cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StilgarBF
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 UK / Italy difference?

Hi,

I'm interested in the new T520.

I'm in Germany and the german shop offers 2 versions of the ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 (UK or Italy)

Whats the difference between the UK and the Italy Version ? Both countrys have other power-plugs than we have in Germany. So which one is right for me?

The description fir the Moni Dock Plus says: "Multiple video ports: 1 VGA monitor, 2 DVI, 2 DisplayPort (Note that the video controller allows for any two video ports to be used simultaneously)"

Is that 2 ports in adition to the ThinkPad's display? Can I use 3 Screens (Thinkpad +  2 at the dock) or only 2 (any configuration).

Thanks

Tino

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 351
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 UK / Italy difference?

I think the difference would be in the power adapter plug type, but each should be compatible with your machine.

The series 3 plus dock came in 3 flavours in general:

1. 90 w adapter type
2. 135 w adapter type (for the W510 machine and also compatible with machines used on the 90 w type).
3. 170 w adapter type (for the W520 and compatible with the 135 watt and 90 watt adapter type machines).

You can support 4 screens if your T520 came with Nvidia Optimus technology, in that case you can use the 1 vga, any 2 of the DVI/Displayport, and one internal LCD (or displayport on the laptop).

If you get the intel version, then you only support 2 external LCD, or one external LCD with one internal LCD.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
chx
Token Ring
Views: 339
Message 3 of 4

Not quite any 2 of the DVI/Displayport, you can't use a DVI and a DisplayPort that are pairs, electronically they are not separated. Linux xrandr reports this very nicely.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 315
Message 4 of 4

That was what i was trying to say, sorry i did not word it properly.

So basically, for the DVI + Displayport pair (which two of them exists), you only use one dvi or displayport from the pair.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors