Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marsun
Punch Card
Views: 7,023
Message 1 of 26

ThinkPad T400 with Advanced Dock and ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT Display

Hi,

I have purchase one ThinkPad T400 with Advanced dock and ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT display card.

Purpose is for output display to two external 19" LCD.

It's work.

But i face a big problem for plug the laptop on the docking for output to dual display

For normal procedure,

(1) plug the laptop on docking firmly

(2) wait about 30 second, a beep sound will have

(3) then i can press the power button on docking

(4) display signal will automatic direct to PCIe display card, display can show on two 19" LCD.

(5) Windows XP work normally with dual display

It's normal when i purchase the equipment one month before.

Now, i need to do following in order it output to external display

(1) plug the laptop on docking

(2) press the power button on docking.

(3) open the laptop LCD ( display will only show on laptop LCD), press F1 to go to BIOS

(4) in BIOS screen, I press the power button to shutdown the laptop. ( force to shutdown)

(5) then i can press the power button and  startup the laptop again.

(6) display signal  will direct to PCIe display card. Display can show on two 19" LCD ( return to normal)

That's mean i must go to BIOS before the two external LCD display normal.

and i have not change any setting in BIOS.Then display signal will direct to Radeon HD 2400.

In BIOS setting, setting is

"Default Primary Video Device" > "PCI Express"

"Boot Display Device" > "ThinkPAD LCD"

I have tried difference setting. But still have problem

Anyone will know what is this problem from and how to solve out?

Man Very Happy

lyvwhyr
802.11n
Views: 7,007
Message 2 of 26

Re: ThinkPad T400 with Advanced Dock and ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT Display

I would suspect this to be the problem right away.

Info from ATI Radeon X1300 Dual-VGA or Dual-DVI, TV-out PCI-Express Graphics Adapter - Overview" page link here

*Note: Hardware compatibility differs between the 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 (41U5028) and the 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (43R1962). 2400XT is not supported by the ThinkPad Advanced Dock. For 2400XT compatibility information, please click on the link for more information.

Info from "ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT Dual-VGA or Dual-DVI, TV-out Graphics Adapter - Overview "page link here

ThinkPad Advanced Dock - This graphics adapter is not supported by the ThinkPad Advanced Dock (2503).

...but have your BIOS and EC.

I will research the problem a little more to see if I find anthing.

Message Edited by lyvwhyr on 03-03-2009 05:44 AM
ojisan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,972
Message 3 of 26

I' running into the same problem with my T500, A-Dock 2803 and Matrox G550 now. I'm not sure whether it happens only, when I booted outside the dock in between (using Intel GMA).

Instead of hard-shutting down the device, two methods seem to work for me:
A) Entering BIOS, doing nothing but Save&Exit (F10). (Maybe just exiting the BIOS sufficient, you probably need to see the internal LCD output here)
B) Booting to Multi-OS Menu (XP + Vista), cancelling it by pressing ESC. (I can press ESC repeatedly blindly, T500 closed, until the external Display comes up)
--
T430S
Marsun
Punch Card
Views: 6,937
Message 4 of 26

Now, I found out we can

(1) Open laptop LCD

(2) Power on the laptop

(2) F1 to BIOS

(3) Press power button for 5s to Shutdown the laptop

(4) Power on again.

(5) Close laptop LCD

Then it normal, Output video to External dual screen

But when we purchase this laptop one month ago, we have tested:

It can startup wtih Dual screen when pressing the power button on docking ( After a beep sound)

Configuration:

T400 2767A76; P8400/ 3M/ 2.66GHz C2D;  2G, 250GB, ATI Radeon HD3470 On Board, Windows XP SP3

Advanced Dock 39T4577, 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 43R1962 on Docking.

Exteranl Monitor: 2x 19" L190X LCD

BIOS Version :

Version: 4.1.3.1038 Release Date: 2009/02/16

Thank you for your steps.

Marsun
Punch Card
Views: 6,935
Message 5 of 26

We have tried to order X1300, but out of stock.

Vendor recommend to use T2400XT.

alertforce
Paper Tape
Views: 6,882
Message 6 of 26

I encountered the similar problem.

I got a T400 and the advance dock for one of my customer, tried using a normal GeForce 8400 and Quadro FX370, both image quality is bad.

I read the Lenovo web site and it shows that x1300 works with the dock but already EOL, and the replacement card, 2400XT, does not support the dock.

So I called up Lenovo support and ask for a list of support cards.

While I was waiting for their reply, I went to get a 3th party x1300 pro card, and use it to the dock, so far so good.

Lenovo support got back to me yesterday and told me the 2400XT is the only card that works with the dock. (!!!)

The words from the Lenovo support and the web site is contradicting.

I suggest to get a 3rd party x1300 card for your dock.

Marsun
Punch Card
Views: 6,876
Message 7 of 26

Right, may be we need to source x1300.

Actually Lenovo just update their webpage about 2400XT not supporting advanced docking in Feb.

They may just discover this situation and try to resolve now.

Of course, they need speed up the solution for us.

For Dell E4300 and E-Port Advanced Port Replicator, it also support external dual monitor.

I am review this system now.

Hope i no need to replace by Dell in finally solution.

ojisan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,774
Message 8 of 26

Matrox has an installation guide for its cards and the Advanced Dock:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/products/graphics_cards/Lenovo_Advanced_Dock_Installation_G...

I connected my secondary LCD via VGA to the Advanced Dock now (DVI boots on the primary). That way I can see the "wrong output" without having to open the laptop.

I used an HD3450 in my first tests, but it did not even boot with it when docked:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T400_series_ThinkPads&message.id=8150
Message Edited by ojisan on 02-27-2009 12:08 AM
--
T430S
Marsun
Punch Card
Views: 6,753
Message 9 of 26

I have asked our vendor to loan Matrox display to test.

Hope it work, no need press F1 in every morning.

Will report here after complete

BTW, our case already escalate in Lenovo service centre.

But no improve updating up to now

Hope they can find a solution for us.

alertforce
Paper Tape
Views: 6,649
Message 10 of 26

Lenovo call center is hopeless, last Thursday (26/02/2009) I called them, telling them the discrepancy of the information in the web site, and the level one support say will escalate the issue to level two, to that they can check which card is compatible with the advance dock.

Yesterday evening (02/03/2009) we called again and they told us they can provide us an answer by 5 pm today (03/03/2009).

Today we called at 2 pm+, level one support say all level two support personnel are all engaged and ask us to call back 1 to 2 hours later.

Almost 5 pm we called again and they say will get back to us in 30 mins.

At 5 pm+ level two support called and say that they need 2 business days to attend to the issue, she was trying to explain to us that level one support had just escalate the issue to them at 3pm+ today. That is their internal problem and I am not interested in it. She tried to contact the Product Manager and later telling us the PM had already knock off for the day, and she need to stay back and check with the PM via his mobile phone, and will get back to us by 6 pm. Well if she had called the PM earlier then she won’t need to stay back.

She called back at around 6, informing us the PM is not able to give us an answer as this is a new product, and the PM will need to escalate the issue to the Regional Manager and will need another day to look into this issue.

It seems to me that Lenovo did not test the products fully before they release them.

And who knows may be tomorrow the Regional Manager will tell us that he will need to escalate to the Snr Regional Manager and again will take another day? If that is the case I think I will need to know how many level in Lenovo’s hierarchical structure to estimate the time needed to solve this issue. Smiley Mad

I am not sure what kind of system Lenovo call center is using, which will take 5 days to escalate an issue from level one to level two, while telling lies to the callers that they can have an answer at a specific date and time.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors